What breeds have friendly roosters?

I have a black AM roo I'm about to rename Soup!
My blue is a sweetheart.
My sweetest roos are my FBCM and WM, they're wonderful!
None of the Game roos I ever owned were ever mean unless there was a roo around and even then, the other roos always started the mess.
I gotta go with Marans roo. Big puppy dogs.

Yeah this roo i have is nasty attacked my friend yeasterday when we were trying to go into the pen and he does nothing but crow and mate, he never brings food to the girls or anything and when my hens come towards me for treats he gets right in front of them and takes all the treats then attacks me!
he.gif
Is it just his breed or is he just a messed up roo?

Great question....

My light Sussex is the greatest, he let's the hens and chicks eat first, finds nummies for them, let's them snuggle up under all his fluffy feathers and always respects me
smile.png

My dominique is another story, he doesnt find food for the girls, pecks the chicks, and confronts me and eyes me up and has jumped at my teenager daughter..... To his defense he is on constant alert for the flock, and he can't relax, since he is second in charge he is chased by the light Sussex all day who is too slow to catch him
lol.png

My roosters are in great shape lol!

Quote:
Ever seen the Dog Whisperer? Watched his show for a long time and really liked his style of teaching. He watched animals in their own environment while they reacted with each other and trained them based on the way they treat each other in the wild. Alpha male is king....he walks they walk. They get out of line he kicks their a#$. They try to eat before him, he kicks their a@$. They bow up to him, guess what he does. They dare to try and mate in front of him.....thats right extra helping of a#$ kicking going on so you know your place.

My hens treat each other that way, so I treat them the same....as if they were my pack, herd or flock. Saw a rather long post here one day about letting roosters mate in front of you......mine never gets to even get to comfy with the ladies before I harass him and he knows his place. Some would say this is a control freak kind of thing to do and I'm ok with that.....I am kind of a control freak. I built their coop they way I wanted it and never asked for their input....same with my dog and his house. He doesn't get input on what goes on around here....he either does or I get on him. I build the houses, the fences, bring the food and chase off the bad guys......everything is under my control so I just carry that on thru with the way I treat my animals. My dog absolutely adores me and the chickens lay every day....the rooster, well I don't really care what he wants, they're my ladies
lol.png

Guess my whole point was.....kick his a#$!!! Boot him out of the way and don't let him back in the circle until his attitude has changed. Doesn't change then go alpha all over his arse.....complete control....holding, hanging by their feet. Let him know you own his every move
smile.png

Last edited:
I have a lavender orpington too who is terrible! If you're looking for a sweet rooster you can't go wrong with a Cochin. I also have an Iowa blue who is the best rooster I've ever had. He doesn't mind if I touch him, he's very proactive of the hens when it comes to other roosters and the dog, he finds food and calls the hens over and just stands and guards them while they eat. I have him listed on craigslist because he's the only Iowa blue I have, but I may have to keep him.

Quote:
You're not the only one who's had a nasty Ameraucana roo. I've heard more than one breeder talk about a rooster nobody wants to go near- but it was only one out of all the boys they had.

If you have small kids and can provide good shelter, silkies are hard to beat.

The sweetest rooster we have ever had is our Faverolles roo, Mr. Hen. Faverolles roosters are known for their sweet temperament. That said, I am sure there are others out there who have experienced a mean one... but overall they do have a great reputation as good boys and he is just awesome!
We also have a Mottled Java, a Cuckoo Marans and a Barred Black Olive Egger rooster... all are very respectful and we enjoy having them.
We have had mixed results on our Bantam Cochins... out of 3 roos of this breed... 2 of them are super sweet boys... but 1, Mango the Terrible, ended up in the pot.
The meanest roosters we have ever had were a pair of Light Brahma's... they were awful... they attacked and chased us and were terrors. Also we had some mean little Bantam Naked Necks roosters... they were fighting and trying to kill each other when they were just wee chicks... we had to put them in separate brooders - eek!

My marans roos are good boys, but the best one I ever had was a RIR/buff orp mix. He was such a gentleman, but was protective of the hens. He would hold a blackberry vine down while the hens ate the berries. We had a nasty black Aussie once and it attacked my DH as he was carrying water. Papa(my gentle boy), ran and knocked the meany off my husband. He died a couple of years ago and I miss him still.

IMG021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom