What breeds should I get?

Pics

MamaGrizzly

Chirping
Aug 10, 2020
Hi all! I am settling in on my choices of breeds that I will be ordering for April. I live on a hilly property with very well draining soil. There are plenty of shade trees, and I live on the north side of the slope. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, so we have all four seasons. The summers get up to 102F tops, and the winters get down to -5F at the lowest. Spring and fall we do get a lot of rain, but I suppose a lot of places might consider it to be moderate.

i’ve been obsessively researching chicken breeds, chicken coops, runs, and everything regarding chickens for the past couple of months. I’ve always wanted chickens, and I am thrilled now that we have a large enough property my dream is coming true! I am not afraid of hard work, and I plan to give them the very best I am able to, so any important bits of advice are welcome... but my specific question is about breeds.

I have small children, so I am looking for family friendly breeds. I’d love chickens that like people. I also love the idea of a multi-colored barnyard and egg basket.

I have two dogs, and the neighboring property has three feral cats 🤦🏻‍♀️ that live on the property (the cats came with their property, and I’m not above capturing And homing them). On the other side our other neighbor has two dogs that are not restrained. That may change once our dogs move in, as ours are young and will want to play.

while I would prefer to free range my flock (my dogs will need a ton of training and I plan to work toward this), I am well aware that that may not be a possibility considering the neighbors pets or mine. So I plan to have a large run. I also plan to use the deep litter method.

here is the list of breeds I am thinking of ordering. At the moment I am planning on ordering one of each. My coop and run will be large enough to fit 16, but I will be starting with 8 chickens because... chicken math.

Out of these breeds are there any you would recommend against? Any that will not likely get along with the others? Which are your favorites?

if you have and love any of these birds please include a pic for everyone’s enjoyment.

Thank you for your input!!!

Dark Brahma
Blue/Black/Spash Cochin
Salmon Faverolle
Black Copper Marans
Welsummer
Barred Rock
Cream Legbar
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger
Ameraucana

Attachments

• 38A9009C-E3D1-4D83-A924-9BF32C642C35.png
    38A9009C-E3D1-4D83-A924-9BF32C642C35.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 78
Hi all! I am settling in on my choices of breeds that I will be ordering for April. I live on a hilly property with very well draining soil. There are plenty of shade trees, and I live on the north side of the slope. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, so we have all four seasons. The summers get up to 102F tops, and the winters get down to -5F at the lowest. Spring and fall we do get a lot of rain, but I suppose a lot of places might consider it to be moderate.

i’ve been obsessively researching chicken breeds, chicken coops, runs, and everything regarding chickens for the past couple of months. I’ve always wanted chickens, and I am thrilled now that we have a large enough property my dream is coming true! I am not afraid of hard work, and I plan to give them the very best I am able to, so any important bits of advice are welcome... but my specific question is about breeds.

I have small children, so I am looking for family friendly breeds. I’d love chickens that like people. I also love the idea of a multi-colored barnyard and egg basket.

I have two dogs, and the neighboring property has three feral cats 🤦🏻‍♀️ that live on the property (the cats came with their property, and I’m not above capturing And homing them). On the other side our other neighbor has two dogs that are not restrained. That may change once our dogs move in, as ours are young and will want to play.

while I would prefer to free range my flock (my dogs will need a ton of training and I plan to work toward this), I am well aware that that may not be a possibility considering the neighbors pets or mine. So I plan to have a large run. I also plan to use the deep litter method.

here is the list of breeds I am thinking of ordering. At the moment I am planning on ordering one of each. My coop and run will be large enough to fit 16, but I will be starting with 8 chickens because... chicken math.

Out of these breeds are there any you would recommend against? Any that will not likely get along with the others? Which are your favorites?

if you have and love any of these birds please include a pic for everyone’s enjoyment.

Thank you for your input!!!

Dark Brahma
Blue/Black/Spash Cochin
Salmon Faverolle
Black Copper Marans
Welsummer
Barred Rock
Cream Legbar
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger
Ameraucana
Perdonally, I would stick with either EEs or Amerucanas, not both just because how similar they are.

Have you considered Naked Necks? The females I've had are so friendly, if not skittish, and they do great in hot and cold environments. Also cone in tons of volors

Thank you! I’ll check them out. And yes, I will choose either the EE or the Ameraucana. Not both. Honestly not sure which though.

I have raised several buff orpingtons, sadly I didn't get a pic of them. I would highly recommend this breed.
Here are some pics of my barred rock ckicks and my welsummer chicks. I have raised some barred rocks, would reccomend them as well.
IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG

Agree on the Easter Eggers, purebred Ameraucanas can be hard to find and are also expensive. You’ll get a nice breed with the EE and fun surprise when you see what color eggs they lay!
I would recommend breeds that are cold hardy due to your winters. Probably stick to breeds that have pea or rose combs.
You do not have Wyandottes on your list, these come in a variety of colors are fluffy, cold hardy and make good pets for the kids!😊
Photo of 10 week old blue laced red Wyandotte pullet
05FBEDE6-C9C2-4EF1-A4D9-0F616AA92EB0.jpeg
8BB5BAB8-3662-4DB7-9ACE-7A38DC357B00.jpeg

Last edited:
Cochins, buff Orpingtons, cream legbars and barred rocks are really friendly. The ameraucanas have a specific color and only lay blue eggs. EEs lay many different colors and come in a lot of different colors.
I prefer ameraucanas because they are the friendliest chicken I got and I plan on breeding them, but I think you would really like EEs.
Welsummers I've had have always been really skittish.
Marans are really sweet too. And I prefer cuckoo Marans, they are really pretty.
I love my Wyandotte’s and Ancona they are very pretty and are friendly.
Here’s a couple of the breeds you mentioned that I have. It’s a cuckoo maran, a Wyandotte, and a ameraucana.
F2D16E30-5ABB-4567-92EE-1C2328F4D0C6.jpeg
827E8846-8598-46F9-A9D9-50DA91AF146C.jpeg
FC544D94-3786-4906-93E5-E30F312DD3A8.jpeg

I have a 12 week old Cream Legbar right now and she is a doll. She is one of the smaller birds in my flock (actually she’s the second smallest of the 6 chicks I added to my flock). I have a feeling she’ll be about the size of my Ancona hen and my Ancona is one of the smallest breeds I own. She’s super sweet and will not freak out when I handle her (and that’s great because I didn’t handle her that much as a baby because my broody hen was raising her). 677E9D4C-3D25-443C-B5CC-B42E29A0F648.jpeg

My 1 year old Easter Egger is a crazy bird who spends most her time running around. She is extremely flighty and freaks out if I handle her (I get a face full of wing). I did handle her and spent the same amount of time with her as I did my Ancona when she was in the brooder but she just never warmed up and never became as friendly as my other chickens. She just now recently starting taking treats from my hand and she willingly walks around me / near me but she just doesn’t like being handled.

I do get pretty blue-green eggs from my EE though. 941A33A8-D8BF-4E33-BF06-BAAF8B70EED9.jpeg 136C5DE6-65CE-4840-87C0-68168474E4C0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom