What breeds should I get?

Wow I like that stanbridge! Where can you order those? Think I have some of my breeds to get figured out... I'm thinking buff duck, Ancona and Cayuga. Which covers my white/cream eggs and black/grey. But just don't know for the blue/green. Maybe mallard?

The only place I know of that has Stanbridge Whites is Holderread Waterfowl Farm, and you can't order them, they only come in assortments.
sad.png

I know of myself and someone else here in Wisconsin who got them from Holderreads and are breeding or planning on breeding them, and then I know at least 2 or 3 people here on BYC that have them, but I don't know if they're planning to breed them at all, and none of them live near you.

Mallards lay green eggs, but they're not the best layers - you'll get some eggs from them in the spring, but they won't carry on laying all summer and into the fall like a Runner or a Harlequin or any of the egg-type breeds will. Plus, Mallards WILL fly away, so you need to keep their wings clipped or keep them in a completely enclosed pen (that's what I do with my Mallards and my Call ducks).
smile.png

Buffs, Anconas, and Cayugas are all GREAT choices!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point on the mallards! Hmm, not a big fan of the runners though. They look like a duck that's been through a taffy puller... Any other common breeds that lay blue/green?

Well, an Ancona can lay white, cream, or blue eggs...and a Stanbridge White is basically a pure white Magpie - Magpies are supposed to lay blue/green eggs, BUT many strains don't.
hmm.png

I wonder what color eggs Rouen ducks lay?
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My Rouen's eggs were white. I'm disappointed to read that green eggs are a flaw in WH's. Not surprized though--mine aren't show quality. My females do not even have black bills.

My rouen eggs are very pale green/grey. I would call it an off-white. They look mostly white until you hold them up to a white chicken egg and then you can really see the color. I think they're pretty.

Well hmm.... The breeder I'm getting the anconas eggs from say they lay white. So no blue/green eggs there. Where I'm getting my buff duck eggs from they say some lay blue some lay white, it is about a 20% chance of getting a blue layer. Runners do seem to be the best for blue/green eggs. Just can't get over their body shape though. Are they calm at all?

I loved
love.gif
my Mallard hen she laid beautiful glossy green eggs, and she was so sweet
love.gif

This is my Suzy I miss her so much
sad.png

67676_csc_3413.jpg

Here she is with my Pekin male
67676_csc_3300.jpg

This is her with her mix baby she brooded and hatched all by herself
celebrate.gif

67676_csc_3762.jpg