What breeds should I keep???? TAKE 2

What breeds should I keep???? (select as many as you like)

• Foley SLW

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Foley BLRW

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • French Blue and Black Copper Marans

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • French Black Copper Marans

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Easter Eggers

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Wheaten Ameraucanas

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Lavender/Splits Ameraucanas

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Black Ameraucanas

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Olive Eggers

• French Cuckoo Marans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Super Blue Egg Layers (White Leghorn x Ameraucans)

• German New Hampshire

• Good Shepard Barred Rock x Blue Barred Rocks (50/50 Blue and Black)

• Blue and Black Rocks

• Exchequer Leghorn x White Leghorns (trying to improve size of egg and production)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

DMRippy

Pallet Queen
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Nashville
What breeds should I keep? What are you most likely to buy on the BST section for hatching eggs. This will also help me plan my pens. Suggestions are welcome too
wink.png
If I have breeds that you know make a good cross.... let me know!

Last edited:
i would incorporate your black am's in with the lavenders, since splits are black anyways...

you might have demand for the Exchequer Leghorns, if there's a possibility of getting them from splits, but few would want just the splits i think... maybe keep them for another year to produce actual exchequer's...

i would combine the black/blue copper marans as well.

the german new hampshires seem to be hit or miss... but locally people seem to want the chicks but not hatching eggs from what i'm hearing (from other breeders).

i'm debating between getting slw and silver laced bantam cochins myself, but leaning toward cochin since i already have other sq colors to work with if needed.

i've already got some blrw on order so
fl.gif
i'll have eggs/chicks available next spring myself. this year was a learning experience for myself as well, in what sells and what doesn't. dorking eggs are popular, as are chicks, but half grown birds (in the gangly stages) have to practically be given away.

my bantam cochins, again eggs go, chicks sometimes go, but nearing 4-5 months old, i can't keep them at the swaps, they're gone quick. (black, self blue, mille fleur, & silver laced. my one white pullet went to swap 4 times before i gave up.)

The exchequer roo is a project for someone else really. Just thought I might keep him if others wanted to work on their exchequers too.

The blue and black coppers I have running together now. I get requests for JUST blacks and I can't fill those requests.

White birds don't sell well for some reason. I find that once I can sex chicks and sell them as PULLETS they sell pretty well. I may be a little picky next year as to what I hatch to sell.

Oh I have to have a black pen to make the blacks for my Lavender and splits.

Last edited:
What about exchequers? Should I continue to breed them? is there a market for them? I can raise some of these crosses to breed back to the exchequer roo. Not many as I just have a small pen for them, but I could probably keep a couple of pullets, maybe 3 with him.

exchequers are interesting, but how's their personality? all the leghorns i've had in the past were all flighty (spastic was the first word came to mind LOL).

exchequers are interesting, but how's their personality? all the leghorns i've had in the past were all flighty (spastic was the first word came to mind LOL).
All my WL are very calm and will let me pet them if they are in the coop when I collect eggs. The Exchequer would let me pick him up, not sure he would now. He does the wing dance when I come to the pen now. LOL

my white leghorns are very calm . they will eat out of hand but wont let me pick em up or pet them. i was amazed that they pay my lil high strung dogs no mind at all. very calm quiet birds. noyhing like i was told they would be.

my white leghorns are very calm . they will eat out of hand but wont let me pick em up or pet them. i was amazed that they pay my lil high strung dogs no mind at all. very calm quiet birds. noyhing like i was told they would be.
I can pick mine up.... and I have LOTS of birds and don't get to play with them
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom