• Blue and Black Copper Marans

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Blue and Splash Copper Marans

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Black Copper Marans

• Olive Eggers

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Blue and Reg Barred Rocks (Good Shepard Barred Rock Roo)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Blue Rocks

• Cuckoo Marans (Reg and Blue)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White Leghorns

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Super Blue Egg Layers (Ameraucana x White Leghorn cross)

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
I voted for everything I already have from you blue rocks, HQ SLW, blue & black copper marans, blue & reg barred rocks, plus BLRW.

I'm not likely to buy lav splits. Or Cookoo marans.
Sorry didn't mean to mess up your count.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of Super Blue Egg Layers before but if they are as flighty as the Leghorns they would be my second pick as least likely to buy. The breeds I buy are relatively good layers (like Plymouth Rocks) but are more likely to have a better disposition.
My leghorns are right there at the door when I go to the pens and I can pet them more than most. That is just mine.... but I don't find WL to be flighty and my original 5 where hatchery. I will be keeping the WL for layers for me if nothing else. Breed them for a few months to replace my flock.

I voted for everything I already have from you blue rocks, HQ SLW, blue & black copper marans, blue & reg barred rocks, plus BLRW.

I'm not likely to buy lav splits. Or Cookoo marans.
Sorry didn't mean to mess up your count.
thumbsup.gif

Well the BBS I don't have but could, just wanted to know if there was demand for Splash marans IDK. I do get call for just Blacks so I think I would have a black only pen and a blue pen (would make splash)

Your answer was PERFECT! Thanks! BTW I have 14 pens so only looking to thin down to 8 or 10 max so I can have grow out pens for roos and pullets. Some of these will require more than one pen.
well, i raise 2 breeds with several colors, but i'll hatch anything i can sell at swap. barred rock chicks sold 'eh' but marans were gone as soon as i put the truck in park! white breeds took me 3 swaps to get rid of. (i still have my (un)white bantam cochin pullet because i never could get the stains out of her feathers!)

ditto for solid black birds (except cochins). i had australorp and black ameraucana. had to practically give away the australorps, kept the black am.

silver grey dorkings seem to sell, as do any 'odd' colored birds, like silver laced, blue laced red, etc.

we have several localities around that allow hens but not roosters, so a lot of people look for eye candy. so that's what's regulating my egg swaps/purchases. (rather swap than buy tho LOL)

Quote: I have the same problem with black ams.....
hu.gif
but I can't sex them either. I need to make sex links for the spring too.... they just passed a law in Nashville allowing up to 6 pullets/hens. I have a roo guy so no big issue with the roos. The eye candy is part of the reason for the Wyandotte.... NO body has them around here. Locals snag all the reg barred rocks I can hatch.... and since I cull them it is a win win ( I am only keeping the blues now)

This first year is a learning curve for me..... it was a BIG one too! LOL But like you I see trends. Local selling and hatching eggs are different too.

Leghorns and barred rocks. They are to common.

And splash ia liked by many. I dont see why people hate them so much. They think its as useless as a mutt. But they have good purpose. And so pretty.

Well it is looking like my guesses were about right. EE and Olive Eggers are not that popular. I knew Leghorns would tank.... LOL I keep them for other projects and for eggs. I only pen them up for hatching eggs when I need them. New Hampshire and SLW are a surprise.....
pop.gif
anyone else?

slw not popular? that's a surprise... i've got people asking me for colorful stuff and when i show them silver laced they're like WOW!

slw not popular? that's a surprise... i've got people asking me for colorful stuff and when i show them silver laced they're like WOW!
I am not falling for that one. There is nobody around here that sells SLW, I a pretty sure the will be popular locally. Since I just got them I am not going to trash those plans. Maybe it is the HIGH QUALITY part, they maybe just want reg SLW for yard candy and layers.

I am not falling for that one.  There is nobody around here that sells SLW, I a pretty sure the will be popular locally.  Since I just got them I am not going to trash those plans.  Maybe it is the HIGH QUALITY part, they maybe just want reg SLW for yard candy and layers.
i saw that too. You don't even see SLW on BYC B.S.T that often.
Maybe alot of these are people thinking which ones you are likely to buy instead of opposite?

Back
Top Bottom