What breeds should I select for a flock of seven birds.

rhodyray

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Exeter, Rhode Island
I currently have six hens that will be replaced shortly with a flock of seven. I'm looking at RI Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Americanas, White Leghorn, and Golden Laced Wyandottes. Your recommendation/feedback will be appreciated. Of course I wish to have a mixed flock.
Thank you, Ray

Rhode Island reds are very reliable layers and have a long lifespan, but if you get them with other smaller breeds sometimes they can have attitudes with the others. I have a 9 year old currently, so I’m not kidding about life span. (Also editing to add: their attitude is by no means a bad thing. Sometimes these big girls are the protectors of the flock’s food chasing off other critters trying to get into their food, which is very funny to watch.)

Plymouth barred rocks are very friendly birds, no complaints.

Americanas I think are pretty great, pretty birds and eggs, mixed personalities mostly good, pretty hardy birds overall. They usually get along well with other breeds.

White leghorns are another really reliable egg layer. Get along well with others.

I just got my first gold laced wyandottes last year and I think they have great, sweet personalities and beautiful feathers. They usually group themselves with my smaller breeds.

It really depends on what you’re looking for! And also I would say if you’re looking for a mix or just one breed.

Last edited:
I currently have six hens that will be replaced shortly with a flock of seven. I'm looking at RI Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Americanas, White Leghorn, and Golden Laced Wyandottes. Your recommendation/feedback will be appreciated. Of course I wish to have a mixed flock.
Thank you, Ray
I think all of those will probably do well together.

For a flock of 7, maybe get one of each (that makes 5), plus an extra Leghorn and an extra Americana (because that gives you 2 each of the white egger and the colored egger, to go with the 3 brown eggers.)

I am assuming the "Americana" are actually Easter Eggers, one of the versions sold by whichever hatchery you are dealing with, not actual purebred Ameraucanas (a breed with specific standards for color and other visual traits.) Easter Eggers ("Americanas") tend to be healthy, good layers, and have a variety of feather colors: that makes them a nice choice when you want to be able to tell your chickens apart from each other easily.

I really like where you're going with all different breeds/colors. I put alot of planning into my flock to always have different colored chickens laying different colored eggs.. They also need to have personalities that I like. I always have a core of: Creme Legbar(blue egg,) Marans(chocolate brown egg,) Oliver Egger(green egg,) Orpington(pink egg.) To that I add brown egg layer, white egg layer, Easter Eggers (green and blue,) etc. etc. ENJOY!!

I think all of those will probably do well together.

For a flock of 7, maybe get one of each (that makes 5), plus an extra Leghorn and an extra Americana (because that gives you 2 each of the white egger and the colored egger, to go with the 3 brown eggers.)

I am assuming the "Americana" are actually Easter Eggers, one of the versions sold by whichever hatchery you are dealing with, not actual purebred Ameraucanas (a breed with specific standards for color and other visual traits.) Easter Eggers ("Americanas") tend to be healthy, good layers, and have a variety of feather colors: that makes them a nice choice when you want to be able to tell your chickens apart from each other easily.
I like your suggestion and yes the Americanas are actually Easter Eggers.

I really like where you're going with all different breeds/colors. I put alot of planning into my flock to always have different colored chickens laying different colored eggs.. They also need to have personalities that I like. I always have a core of: Creme Legbar(blue egg,) Marans(chocolate brown egg,) Oliver Egger(green egg,) Orpington(pink egg.) To that I add brown egg layer, white egg layer, Easter Eggers (green and blue,) etc. etc. ENJOY!!
Thank you for your suggestion. The chicks I'm getting are coming from a Feed Store and they are only ordering these breeds plus an Olive Egger and Buff Orpington (which I will not select as I had one and she was broody so often that it was a disturbance to the remainder of the flock not only taking up a nesting box but also because her disposition was nasty).

I love all of these as well, but I’ve never actually had an Orpington! I might need to get myself some…

Rhode Island reds are very reliable layers and have a long lifespan, but if you get them with other smaller breeds sometimes they can have attitudes with the others. I have a 9 year old currently, so I’m not kidding about life span. (Also editing to add: their attitude is by no means a bad thing. Sometimes these big girls are the protectors of the flock’s food chasing off other critters trying to get into their food, which is very funny to watch.)

Plymouth barred rocks are very friendly birds, no complaints.

Americanas I think are pretty great, pretty birds and eggs, mixed personalities mostly good, pretty hardy birds overall. They usually get along well with other breeds.

White leghorns are another really reliable egg layer. Get along well with others.

I just got my first gold laced wyandottes last year and I think they have great, sweet personalities and beautiful feathers. They usually group themselves with my smaller breeds.

It really depends on what you’re looking for! And also I would say if you’re looking for a mix or just one breed.
I'm looking forward to mix breeds. I only have one perch that is 72 inches long and was thinking that if I selected a few smaller bird I could fit 8 hens on that perch. Leghorns are small but currently have Easter Eggers that were to be around 5 lbs each but are about the same size as a RI Red which is not small at around 6.5 lbs.

What is your climate like? Do you care for egg color or personality? There are so many factors that need to be known to help you decide :)
I live in RI so it can be very cold in the winter and also very warm in the summer with high humidity. Egg color would be nice for the granddaughters to see. I would prefer no strong or weak personalities in the flock. Thank you for asking before providing an answer.

Back
Top Bottom