What breeds that you have butchered have the best size and meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Germaine_11.20, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Other than the Cornish X---- What breeds that you have butchered have the best size and meat?

I am trying to find breeds that you have found to have either good breast size, leg size ect... and mature fairly quickly

Some of the breeds I am wondering about are Faverolles, Light Sussex, White Rocks. If I am missing some please add them in.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to share and help.

2. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    i had a few extra dark Cornish rooster a few years ago they were nice sized. but the dark feather really though off my family
    rocks a good too but longer slimmer bird

3. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks Tarzan!

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Dark Cornish are great meat birds, very solid and full
    Buff Orps have the biggest leg 1/4's
    RIR's have the longest breasts
    Cuckoo Marans have a best taste
    Sussex are about average I would say

Steve in NC

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Dark Cornish are very solid birds. Mine have yet to get to what I would call a nice size, but they are very heavy for their size.

I agree with Steve about BO's as well. They look really nice when dressed, and the leg 1/4's are the biggest and tastiest chicken meat I have ever eaten. Drawback is that you're looking at 24-28 weeks to get them to what I consider a nice size. As we speak, there is a BO in the crockpot at home, slowly cooking to perfection for our supper. MMM, I'm getting hungry.

I have a few Speckled Sussexes. I haven't butchered any yet, but the roos did develop fairly quickly and they have a meat bird shape (kinda square). I know they were used a table fowl in England 100 years ago. As far as apperance, the SS have become my favorite.

I think Buckeyes are a great meat bird. They grow quickly if fed right and have an excellent dressed carcus. I did a few of them at 16 weeks and had a dressed bird that resembled a Cornish X. They weighed close to 5 pounds, and they were delicious. I am striving to develop my Buckeyes strictly for meat purposes. I don't have a big enough flock to provide all our meat, but that is my goal.

6. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:Thank you very much. That really helps in which birds I choose to cross to get some personal meaties. I forgot about the buckeyes. I have heard good things about them, but also have a friend whose were dying for no reason. She still doesn't know why. No disease. Maybe they just don't do well in Idaho?

My White rocks were young but still had quite a bit of meat and my Delaware not quite as much as the White Rock. The RIR's I had were production (which I hadn't realized due to newbie status at time of purchase) they were the scrawniest birds ever. I have some baby RIR's from a great BYC'r now.

Does anyone have any input on Faverolles? I heard they were a good meat bird.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Dinner is served! Leg quarters where awesome! Breast had long grains but was moist and tender. I would love to be able to fill the freezer with these, but it would be tough and take a long time. Maybe someday.

Before
    [​IMG][/img]

After
    [​IMG][/img]

The sweet potatoes where good too.

8. mvktr2

mvktr2 Out Of The Brooder

Been wondering this same thing... I believe my flock is going to consist of Delaware (eggs in the bator) and Welsummers or Sussex and wouldn't mind a few Jersey Giants. Wanting a good dual purpose flock, thought about throwing in some Dorking only time will tell. Consider me [​IMG] this thread!

Schlante,
    Phillip

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Barred rocks have good sized legs but smaller breasts, however all that dark meat makes a good batch of tamales.

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    No matter what breeds you choose, your homegrown birds will be yummy. Better flavor than store bought, even if you raise C.X's. I love crock-pot chicken, so I have no problem with letting them get a little older to butcher.

My biggest so far, were Brahma-Dark Cornish crosses. 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 lbs at around 20-24 weeks. Even the backs had a goodly amount of meat on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by