What breeds to get

sparkles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
Hi all. i FINALLY have a coop on its way in around 8 weeks or so. My question is what chickens should i be looking at. Would love chickens that are good layers. Next question can you put ducks and chickens in the same coop. would like to get a couple of duck at some stage ( not for a while)

I have a hybrid called "golden comet". They are super layers. The eggs are usually so big they do not fit in an egg carton made for extra large eggs. Of couse, for recipes, I have to cut down on the egg quantity I use.

They vary in color and pattern enough that I can tell them apart easily, but they are an orangey red with varying amounts of white. The one with the most white feathering lays eggs that are really pale, almost pink colored. The hen with the least white coloring lays a really dark and shiney brown egg. The middle colored hen lays a standard brown colored egg like in the grocery store. A benefit to this is that I know who is laying, or who is having problems. They each have a distinct personality, with one hen being very clever and friendly, one being a less friendly bossy girl, and the third will avoid human contact and freaks out if she cannot see the other two.

The problems in having hybrid hens is that they will not breed true--no telling what you might get if you hook them up with a rooster--and because they lay so frequently, they have a shortened useful laying life.

So you have to ask what your goals are...

It seems laying is your main goal, from your question. So what are your needs? How many eggs a week do you expect to use? I get enough eggs that the dog get eggs, my mom gets eggs, we eat more eggs than I actually want, and we still have enough to give a dozen away to a poor family every few weeks... All from just 3 hens!

Do you want to spend time to make them more human tolerant, or do want a breed that is known for adapting to humans quickly?

And of course, after browsing through BYC, I fell in love with the looks of hens I now cannot get because we have our limit. If I did not still have my girls, I would actually go for a different breed, despite how well my chickens lay. My chickens are not ugly, by any means, but I would love to have one each of the breeds I like.

On the other hand, my girls blend in with the surroundings really well: their coloring is very similar to fallen leaves, which is a consideration if you plan to free range. I am sure their coloring helped them hide from a hawk on several occassions. When the hawk came into the yard, they ducked under a bush and stayed still and quiet until I got out to chase the hawk off. Sometimes even I can't see them until they move or make noise.

Another consideration is what you want the eggs for: do you plan to sell them? Is so, you would to gage how well colored eggs sell...people who are not used to them may not want them.
Is dying them for Easter really important to you? If so, then are going to want at least one hen that lays white eggs.

So, I hope that helps a bit! Good luck!!

Thanks for all that info. I like to cook ect so use a few eggs a week one a good week a doze -2 dozen. I have ils who would use them to. I do plan to free rang them but not full time.:( I cant believe how many eggs you get from just 3 chickens is that is completely insane.. my coop.will hold up to 5 chickens so was planning on a couple of different breeds. Will definantly keep these in kind though

I have 18 chickens, all different breeds. They all lay at different times due to age, weather or molting. I also have 12 chicks in my dining room. Lol my favorite chickens are Norwegian Jaerhons they will follow you to the ends of the earth, just a very socialized, friendly bird. They don't lay a large egg but do lay every day. I am wanting for a few silkies as I have no broody hens. I have buff orphinton, barred rocks, leghorns, silver laced wynotts, Rhode island reds, bantam, white rocks, Easter eggers, astrolorps, deuccles and a few breeds I missed. This is my second year of raising chickens, I have lost some due to illness treated for mites and coccodosis (spelled wrong) but all in all I have done pretty good. Get what you like, I like variation and color the eggs will always come. Good luck on your chicken adventure.

Back
Top Bottom