What brooder light bulb should I use?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RSAChickenDude, Dec 6, 2009.

1. RSAChickenDude

RSAChickenDude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    George SA
    I have just bought myself my first incubator.And I would like to start preparing for when my first chicks hatch,but I have no idea what brooder bulb I should use.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The red ones are great! The size would depend on how large your brooder is I would think. Mine was a 250 W (make sure the housing is appropriate for the wattage), but some use less. I got everything at Tractor Supply company for a decent price.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

RSAChickenDude, most people use a red, 250-watt heat bulb. A good source for the bulb plus a metal lamp with a clamp to hold it is Tractor Supply. You will need to improvise some way to raise and lower it above the chicks so that you can start with 95 degrees the first week and lower the temperature 5 degrees each week.
    Here's a set that's on Amazon; however, it's more expensive than TSC's.

http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Weatherproof-Shape-Diameter-Medium/dp/B0002AB10G

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Will you be brooding these chicks inside or outside? I keep mine in the house for the first week in the frigid months. Mine are in clear rubbermaid type boxes with hardware cloth sections in the lid in my mud room. I use utility clamps and clamp down a metal shield type work light with a 100 watt bulb directly on the wire (it keeps kids & cats from knocking the light off).

With them inside at 65 degrees or so and no major drafts, the 100 watt bulb is plenty warm, even for the tiny seramas I hatched a few weeks ago (THEY are still in the house~LOL). With temps down into the low teens this week, my 1-4 week old chicks in brooders in the barn all have 250 watt red heat lamp bulbs, directly on the screen fronts of their brooder boxes. They sleep literal inches from it when it's temps like this. During the day, they are hanging out closer to the back of the box, playing & eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by