What can I add to mash ? They don't like it.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Brahmadarma, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    My four month old hens are not liking the growers mash and are wasting way too much, they just pick out the bits and leave the rest.
    What can I add, scratch, pellets, something with a bit more substance?
    Any advice? I am worried they may not be getting enough.

2. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

They should get used to it after awhile. If you add something to it that they like better. They will just pick through it and leave the mash.

Or thats my experince anyway

3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I suggest fried/scrambled eggs. It's kind of weird, but chickens will go CRAZY for eggs.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    add a little milk or water to it.

They'll love it wet.

Our's do.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yeah, I can't imagine feeding it to them dry. It would be like choking down whole wheat flour or something. I would mix water in with it and then stir it so that it clumps together.

I served my chickens mash in a "bowl" made from a large bucket (one that laundry soap came in). I sawed off the top 3/4 of the bucket, and washed and disinfected the rest of it so that it was okay to eat out of. I used a garden hand shovel to stir up the mash (a hand shovel cleaned and used for mixing chicken food only). They went nuts over the wet mash.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You could mix the mash in with wheat germ oil, it binds it up well and they love it.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are not laying yet, keep in mind they might prefer layer pellets when they start, too. If possible get the kind with oyster and grit included...

It's a huge issue when your hens don't like something. I think Miss Prissy has recommended yogurt for similar situations.

8. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks for all the response, I will try wetting it. But I don't think that will work well in the cylinder feeder (don't know what you call it) it wouldn't be so likely to fall down into the dish as they eat it, maybe I should abandon that feeder.
    I would still love to try them on something else though, give them the option, or does it HAVE to be mash. They are only 4-5 months old. They do get a lot of fresh vegetables and sometimes egg.
    I am going to a different feed store today to see what they've got, but you guys are the experts so........?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They get hungry enough, they'll eat anything! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by