What can I do about a fox?

Foxes are crepuscular, meaning active during dawn and dusk, as well as nocturnal. If they are coming around during daylight, they could be rabid. If you have a gun, you could take care of business that way. In my area, we're not allowed to trap foxes. But we are allowed to shoot them. You can also apply for a depredation permit from your State's wildlife commission to take them in any manner. I have not gone this route yet but I may soon. I have shot several of them. If you do end up shooting one during daylight hours, I would assume it's rabid and carefully bury it using latex gloves.

There will ALWAYS be predators. Getting rid of one individual will be a very temporary solution at best.

Your best bet is to completely protect your chickens - have a run and coop that are STRONG - don't use flimsy boards, chickenwire, rattletrap connecting methods. Bury the hardware cloth down into the ground around your run so digging predators don't have a chance.

Make your chicken's home strong! - they depend on you to keep them safe.

Quote:
Here we go again, just because a fox, raccoon, whatever shows up during the day, especially this time of year, does not mean it is rabid--more likely it is hungry and found a good source of food. Rabid animals rarely hunt and kill for food. Unless you're in a place where you can legally shoot the fox, call your the local branch of your state environmental or conservation department and ask them for help. Generally they will give you information about who to call to trap and dispose of the animal.

Back
Top Bottom