What can I do about coyotes?

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
We had a bad storm and some trees went down across our back fence. The fence is solid 5 foot field fence with barbed wire strung across the top to hopefully keep coyotes from crawling over. It took us a couple of weeks to get some people out here to cut the trees off the fence and haul them off because we are just getting one storm after the other coming in off the Gulf and they can’t use the heavy equipment in this rain.

Now we need to repair the fence…yesterday a pack of coyotes got into the chicken yard across the downed fence and got 4 of my 3-month old chicks and 5 of my adult hens. We are having another storm today…rain wouldn’t stop them from fixing the fence but the lightning makes it too dangerous to work in under all those trees.

We have a very well built, secure chicken house and the yard is a little more than an acre, which was fenced up until that storm. The chickens have been there for 5 years now and this is the first real trouble that we've had.

My question is…now that the coyotes know that the chickens are there…once we get the fence back up is it going to keep the coyotes out? If not is there something else I can do to keep them out? I'm really nervous about this.

The coyotes in my neighborhood can easly scale a 6-7 foot block wall. I guess you'll just have to keep the girls locked up as long as you can.

My chicken house was not designed to keep the chickens locked up in except at night. I have too many chickens for that and they are used to being let out early in the morning and locked up right before dark at night.

One of my neighbors has suggested I get a donkey. The ranchers around here keep donkeys with their herds because the donkeys will protect the cattle from coyotes. I don’t have the first clue how to take care of a donkey or what it would need in the way of housing.

We live on the Southern edge of the Big Thicket National Preserve. We have for the most part left the land wild and just fenced it in thinking that all the brush would keep the hawks (a big problem here) from getting to the chickens with lots of cover to hide in. I’m thinking that we would have to clear at least a portion for a donkey and there is no grass just underbrush.

Don't know your total dynamics but electric fence does help. Coyote are unrelenting once they have a source of food, they are opportunists! Lock them up tight. Good Luck!

Quote:
Your neighbor is somewhat correct. Its called a guard donkey. We use them here with our cattle as well they are pretty mean to coyotes. Heres the problem with that. they say if you befriend a guard donkey it Will become Domestic. Kinda Like australian shepards there genetically breed to do there job You just load it up and drop it off in the pasture and feed it with the cattle. and that gives the best results.
With that being said. It puts you and your family at a risk As Donkeys have a very powerful bite and kick. I have no experience with tamed Guard Donkeys or if they still work. Like i said we just drop them off in the pastures. you might want to ask a few more people for some advice on the donkey. Perhaps see if anyone has had Positive results with a tamed Guard Donkey. and remember any old Donkey won't do It has to be bred fo it.

I use electric fence around the top and the bottom of the field fence I have a 5 foot fence and they clear it w/o the electric on NO PROBLEM and they come at all times of the day looking for a chicken treat. We got a donkey (very tame to humans and our dogs) if he see's a coyote he takes to running the fence line, he is amazing and we love him. He is really low maintenance (although I did get him a rabies shot this year in case he did catch a coyote) and he is good at guarding our property. Meet the defender of evil aka Eeyore.
10773_100_4006.jpg
If a donkey is not an option the electric fence has been a lifesaver.

Removed Pic. But it was on topic. That is what you need to use to take care of the problem!!! Unless you are good at trapping you are not going to catch a coyote. I have been trapping for years and finally learned how to catch them. It ain't easy for a beginner!!! They are one of the hardest animals to trap. They need to be called in and shot!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom