What can I do about coyotes?

Trap and dispatch by doing this we hardly have any here they have not quite made it here in force we have an open season on them and we trap and dispatch all year long electronic callers work really well so do mouth blown callers.

Quote:
Do you think that posting that photo was a reasonable and prudent thing to do?

If your husbandry program was up to par, you wouldn't need to shoot foxes, much less post the photo on a supposedly "family friendly" forum.

Quote:

If your husbandry program was up to par, you wouldn't need to shoot foxes, much less post the photo on a supposedly "family friendly" forum.

The picture may not be approprate, but I agree with shooting preditors invading my aminals. No ones coops and runs are 100% preditor proof, therefore it becomes necessary to handle the problems as you see fit. We may not all agree on the best ways to handle it, it is an indiviual choice.

Electric fence really does work for coyotes and foxes. We have bunches of them around here, see them on the perimeter of our property all the time. We have 5 foot woven wire fences which they can easily get over (we've seen them do it in the past), so we added a strand of electric wire at the top, and the chicken run also has a an additional electric wire at about 2 1/2 feet. Our chickens free range over 4 acres, we have never lost one to a predator. It's really pretty easy to work with, and not too expensive. By the way, I'd be REALLY surprised if barbed wire would deter them much, now that they've located your chickens.

Last edited:
Check your rules regarding firearms, and if you can, shoot them. Some counties actually pay a bounty for any killed coyotes. The ranchers out by me will shoot one or two coyotes and hang them on the fence. For some reason, the dead hanging ones senda message to keep out to the others.

It wound not be feasible on your one acre lot though, as dead ones really stink!

Quote:

The only thing wrong is you showed what you use, I would never put a picture of my piece on the internet. On the other hand, if you have chickens you do what it takes, and thats what it takes if your serious about protecting your birds.

Quote:

The picture may not be approprate, but I agree with shooting preditors invading my aminals. No ones coops and runs are 100% preditor proof, therefore it becomes necessary to handle the problems as you see fit. We may not all agree on the best ways to handle it, it is an indiviual choice.

I don't even think the photo inappropriate. It was not particularly graphic, and as is said in the sticky at the top of this forum (bold is mine):
*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgemental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.
*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defence and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.​

That is correct Sonoran. Thanks for reminding folks of the rules of this section of the board. Folks, please stay on topic. If you don't have helpful information to offer for the OP, there is no need to post on this thread. If you don't like predator discussions or want to see how predators are dealt with, please feel free to enjoy the rest of the forum.

Quote:

I don't even think the photo inappropriate. It was not particularly graphic, and as is said in the sticky at the top of this forum (bold is mine):
*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgemental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.
*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defence and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.

Thanks for the reminder!
Personally, I did not find the pic offensive.....I think all preditors should be dispatched if they are a problem for you.

Back
Top Bottom