What can I do for my sick hen??

Jazzyfresh

Chirping
Nov 30, 2021
My 3 year old white leghorn hen stopped laying recently. She doesn't seem interested in her food or treats and just kind of stands around with her head tucked in. I separated her from the rest of the flock and let her free range, but she isn't scratching around at all.
The other night I notice a piece of poop hanging from something like a string from her vent. I cut it off, thinking that it might have been causing the problem. I think she might be a little bloated? What do I do?

My 3 year old white leghorn hen stopped laying recently. She doesn't seem interested in her food or treats and just kind of stands around with her head tucked in. I separated her from the rest of the flock and let her free range, but she isn't scratching around at all.
The other night I notice a piece of poop hanging from something like a string from her vent. I cut it off, thinking that it might have been causing the problem. I think she might be a little bloated? What do I do?
I agree with the other post, if you can try and see if you can feel a egg in her abdomen. If you can feel one give her some calsium tablets and if she is not too weak also an epson salt bath😊

Pictures of objects can usually help. Could it have been a collapsed egg membrane? Does she usually lays eggs regularly? If so, I would give a human calcium with vitamin d tablet orally in the back of her beak for 3 days in a row, to see if it helps. Can you get her drinking some fluids, and eating some cooked egg and moistened chicken feed?

She seems to be perking up more today. We are letting her free range just to keep her away from the other hens. Yesterday day she spent most of the day standing around like A zombie chicken, but today she's been wandering around and actually eating her food.

Belly, as in her crop? Does her breath reek/smell sour?

More like from her legs to her vent. I haven't noticed any bad breath.

When was the last time you wormed them?

We've never wormed them before. Would there be any other signs if she did have worms?

Could it have been a collapsed egg membrane? Does she usually lays eggs regularly? If so, I would give a human calcium with vitamin d tablet orally in the back of her beak for 3 days in a row, to see if it helps. Can you get her drinking some fluids, and eating some cooked egg and moistened chicken feed?

I don't think so, but I also don't really know what that is so I'll look it up.
She usually lays an egg per day.

Back
Top Bottom