What can I do for my sick hen??

Jazzyfresh

Chirping
Nov 30, 2021
My 3 year old white leghorn hen stopped laying recently. She doesn't seem interested in her food or treats and just kind of stands around with her head tucked in. I separated her from the rest of the flock and let her free range, but she isn't scratching around at all.
The other night I notice a piece of poop hanging from something like a string from her vent. I cut it off, thinking that it might have been causing the problem. I think she might be a little bloated? What do I do?

My 3 year old white leghorn hen stopped laying recently. She doesn't seem interested in her food or treats and just kind of stands around with her head tucked in. I separated her from the rest of the flock and let her free range, but she isn't scratching around at all.
The other night I notice a piece of poop hanging from something like a string from her vent. I cut it off, thinking that it might have been causing the problem. I think she might be a little bloated? What do I do?
I agree with the other post, if you can try and see if you can feel a egg in her abdomen. If you can feel one give her some calsium tablets and if she is not too weak also an epson salt bath😊

Pictures of objects can usually help. Could it have been a collapsed egg membrane? Does she usually lays eggs regularly? If so, I would give a human calcium with vitamin d tablet orally in the back of her beak for 3 days in a row, to see if it helps. Can you get her drinking some fluids, and eating some cooked egg and moistened chicken feed?

Back
Top Bottom