What can I do? Please help

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have five Orpington hens. Last spring one of them got what sounded like a cold. She was coughing, mouth breathing, and shaking her head. She didn't seem like she felt her normal self. She was eating and drinking but just not as active. I had not added any new birds to the flock and they didn't seem stressed. Nothing in their care had changed. I took her to the vet and he said she had a respiratory infection. He did not do any special tests or check for avian flu. He gave her a steroid injection and Tylan 50. He sent me home with a vial and I was to give it for five days. It cost me $150. She improved after that but it still took her about a month or six weeks to completely shake it off. After a hard molt last spring she got it again! Since I honestly cannot afford another vet bill, I went to the co-op and bought Baytrol which I put in their water for five days. It is a common water supply because I have no way to separate them. She seems some better now coughing only occasionally. About three days ago one of my other hens started making a raspy gurgling noise when she breathes. Sounds really bad. She eats well she's active and doesn't seem like she feels bad at all,. She has some diarrhea. So for the last two days I have given her Tylan 50, 1/2 mL. She is about the same with her breathing today. She weighs 8 to 10 pounds so I am not sure that I am giving her a large enough dose, or if I should be giving it at all, or should I put Baytrol in their water again?. I have been putting rooster booster in their water for the last week or so. I would appreciate any knowledge that someone can give me on this subject. I am just trying to save my little pets, and I didn't realize I was going to have to have a large bank account to keep them well. Also I clean the poo out of the run and the coop every day. They free range. I will check this forum frequently because I am really worried about her. Alternately I can be emailed at [email protected]

Last edited:
Baytril will treat more bacteria if they get a secondary infection. For an 8-10 pound bird, they need 1.5-2 ml of Tylan50 injectable 2-3 times a day for up to 5 days. It can be given orally or by injection, or in a combination. Tylan is easily found in feed stores in the cattle medicines, at least for the time being. Most respiratory diseases, such as mycoplasma (MG) and others, are chronic--they can come back during periods of stress, such as cold winter weather or molting. They are life long carriers for many of the diseases. It helps to use a small amount of probiotic plain yogurt daily when treating with antibiotics, and for general immunity other times about twice a week. Here is a good link with common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

What state are you in? Does it snow there? It's probully the weather change. My old flock used to do this too. My vet said they must of ate something poisonous and the lack of nutrition is causing the infection to come back. What I would try Is food grade Diatomaceous Earth.(it has to be food grade) This will kill the parasite. It should last 3 months so do it every three months and find what caused it so it doesn't happen again.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom