What can I expect from this lovely lot!?

lamberts chooks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Uk
Hello all, I'm new here, I had to join because you have the answers to everything I want to know! My little garden flock consists of- Anna- gold partridge booted bantum, lettuce- black booted bantum (still peeping), Buffy the egg layer- buff Orpington, cookie- dark brahma and Claude- splash bantum polish cockerel. Age ranges are 16-21 weeks, no layers/crowers yet, but What I'd really like to know is what great crosses I can expect from this lovely lot if and when they breed? Will I ever get a brahma with a hair do? Could Claude actually reach!? Will half the hatchlings look like mum and half dad? I'd love to see what others got from these.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Sounds like you have a beautiful flock!

It is impossible to tell exactly what a cross of breeds will look like. Thats why mixing breeds is always exciting. However, it is certainly possible that a Polish/Brahma mix would create a crested bird. And it is also possible that your bantam rooster could mate with a large fowl successfully--it can be hard (especially if the hen isn't cooperative), but it does happen.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them! We're all here to help as much as we can.
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. In answer to your question, Claude can and will reach. Bantam roosters will definitely breed with standard sized hens. As far as what the offspring will look like, with a Polish father, they will likely have at least some kind of partial crests. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in your breeding.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on Bantamlover21, its hard to know exactly what you'll get. Bantam roosters can usually successfully breed with large fowl- they're quite determined little creatures!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, you never know what you are going to get with cross breeding. Just think of it like a Christmas present surprise...SURPRISE!!!

Enjoy your wonderful flock! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask them. And we do welcome you to our flock!

Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear Claude's crest may pass on and I can't wait to see any future porpingtons, brahma-ish's and whatever other little surprises that come

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom