CluckkyKrista

Chirping
Jan 6, 2024
Hello there all you lovely chicken-experts, we got a first egg from Ella our Easter Egger today and it was a biggie (70g) 🙌. It’s got us wondering what she might be crossed with and if we might have a blue egg layer crossed with a Brahma or Cochin maybe 🤞🏼? I ask because I noticed a few rogue feathers on her feet… Maybe not possible to tell but interested in any thoughts… Also, is it possible her eggs will get even bigger if this was her first one? She currently only 21 weeks old. Way to go Ella!

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg
IMG_3223.jpeg

Ella’s first egg on the right and a standard X-Large from the store above. Our Aracuna’s little blue egg left for contrast.

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Also, is it possible her eggs will get even bigger if this was her first one?
If her first egg has two yolks (or some other oddity, like 3+ yolks or an entire egg inside another egg) then later eggs will probably be smaller because they don't have extra things inside.

But if that is a normal one-yolk egg, then yes her eggs will probably get larger as she continues to lay.

Silkie could be the cross. Or its some where down the line. Could also be Sultan or again somewhere down the line.

Wait are you in the UK or Australia? If so then maybe the brahma or cochin.
Silkie could be the cross. Or its some where down the line. Could also be Sultan or again somewhere down the line.

Wait are you in the UK or Australia? If so then maybe the brahma or cochin.
Yep - Lived in the U.S. but Australia atm :) Seem to be quite a lot of Brahma around… Wouldn’t it be too big for a silkie?

I thought silkie because of the crest because I forgot that anywhere other than the US Ameraucana/Aracuna have crests.
I thought Ameraucanas are the same in any country, where they exist at all, and it was just the Araucanas that varied (ear tufts/rumpless with no crest in the USA, with other countries having them with crest and muff/beard and often a tail as well.)

Hello there all you lovely chicken-experts, we got a first egg from Ella our Easter Egger today and it was a biggie (70g) 🙌. It’s got us wondering what she might be crossed with and if we might have a blue egg layer crossed with a Brahma or Cochin maybe 🤞🏼? I ask because I noticed a few rogue feathers on her feet…
It is possible to get a few little feathers like that on chickens from clean-legged ancestors, so she might not have any specific feather-foot breed involved.

If she does have Brahma or Cochin in her ancestry, I would expect it to be a grandparent or further back, because chicks with a feather-foot parent usually have quite a few more feathers than what she shows.

I thought Ameraucanas are the same in any country, where they exist at all, and it was just the Araucanas that varied (ear tufts/rumpless with no crest in the USA, with other countries having them with crest and muff/beard and often a tail as well.)

It is possible to get a few little feathers like that on chickens from clean-legged ancestors, so she might not have any specific feather-foot breed involved.

If she does have Brahma or Cochin in her ancestry, I would expect it to be a grandparent or further back, because chicks with a feather-foot parent usually have quite a few more feathers than what she shows.
Ameraucana where apart of the Araunca before they where split off from each other due to APA politics. So technically the Araunca in all other countries encompasses both at the same time.

This is really interesting! I also had a Cockeral that we had to rehome and he was meant to be a “pure bread” but I wasn’t sure because he does look different to some of the pics I see… Is this the difference we’d expect in Australian Aracuna/ Ameracauna’s (with the fluffy heads ), I’ve actually not been sure of his breed…

IMG_3175.jpeg

And as for Ella (the hen above), I guess it’s just guesswork then as to her cross…especially if the feet aren’t providing any clues. Will update once I see if we have multiple yokes.

This is really interesting! I also had a Cockeral that we had to rehome and he was meant to be a “pure bread” but I wasn’t sure because he does look different to some of the pics I see… Is this the difference we’d expect in Australian Aracuna/ Ameracauna’s (with the fluffy heads ), I’ve actually not been sure of his breed…

View attachment 3758521
And as for Ella (the hen above), I guess it’s just guesswork then as to her cross…especially if the feet aren’t providing any clues. Will update once I see if we have multiple yokes.
Australian SOP I belive is available on line.

There is an Open SOP. http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Main_Page

Back
Top Bottom