what can I feed 'em?

mirandamommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Central California
Hi all. I have had my first backyard flock of americanas and rhode island reds for 1 week. They seem to be doing well. Can I give them anything for a treat such as fruits or veggies? They are eating chick starter, but I wanted to give them something special. Also, they are starting to scratch and peck at the bottom of their box. Should I put in a piece of sod? I read this somewhere online. I would appreciate the input of you veteran chicken mommies/daddies. Thanks!

how old are they? Fruits and veggies are ok. I heard garlic, onions and citrus make the eggs tasste weird but they never get them anyway. watermelon and banana are good. careful not to give them anything to salty.

ok. you can also mix up, cooked plain oatmeal, yougurt and hardboiled egg. mix it all up and the babies love that. sometimes I mix in bananas. When I first tried it they where so scared of it. now they pig out on it

There is a great permanent treats thread somewhere on the forum..I think under frequently asked questions, but it may be under the Feeding Time heading. If you can find it, it has great info on it.

Does anyone know are cheerios okay for chicks?
I gave them a few and they had a blast chasing each other over them. They each had one, maybe they thought the flavors were different.

?

I moved them onto straight pine shavings today and they loved it! Now they can be chickens and scratch!

Teddi

Back
Top Bottom