1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can i feed my hen to make her gain weight.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by night prowler, Feb 12, 2013.

1. night prowler

night prowler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Williamson, Ga
    I have a hen that was sick and lost alot of weight. she is eating now and doing much better,but i want to get her weight back up before putting her back on the yard with the rest of the hens. I have been feeding her laying crumbles, scrambeled eggs,tomatoes, fresh turnip greens and feed her some crushed up dry roasted peanuts. i am not trying make her a big fat hen, just want to get her weight up.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd limit the quantity of low calorie extras like tomatoes and greens. I would increase her animal protein intake with things like a bite of your hamburger or canned fish. Most feeds are only plant based protein but chickens are omnivores. This also adds some fat calories. A bag of game bird feed, which is usually higher protein than most others, should also help. There are probably some threads on putting weight on birds in the meat bird forum.

1 person likes this.
  3. night prowler

night prowler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Williamson, Ga
    Canned fish like tuna fish,sardines and what about canned cat food.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They need extra protein to put on weight. Chickens are very good at regulating their caloric intake to just what they need. To get more protein into her you need to cut out the extras like tomatoes and greens and just let her eat her layer ration or buy a higher protein ration. If you are keeping her in a fairly warm place you can encourage consumption by lowering the temperature a bit.

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Toss her scratch with suet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by