What can I plant to vine up my run?

I found an idea on the web for growing grass inside the chicken run without letting the chickens eat it all or scratch it up. I thought it was so cool I added it to my Pinterest wall. I think I could devote a corner of the run to this and really green up the run and give my chicks some healthy greens to munch on.

http://pinterest.com/pin/422986589972249428/

I plant pole beans all along the south side of the run. Chickens don't really bother the vines, which grow very fast and provide them with shade, and me with beans.

Last edited:
Clemantis isn't edible, but has been safe as decoration on the run fence if there are lots of other edible choices available. In other words, if the birds can free range a lot, and have more to eat than that clemantis.
Do be prepared for the weight and management of vines like grapes!
I have trees and shrubs planted around the coop and run for winter windbreaks and summer shade. These plantings take time to grow, but are very low maintenance when established. Pretty, too.
Mary

Beware planting any perennial vine close to a chicken run.
Vining plants can tear up a structure...especially one with mesh walls that are easy to infiltrate.

Oooh, good question that provided me with an awesome idea.
Sweet potato is also a vine plant, although many people don't realize such. Sweet potatoes leaves can become nice and wide/shady, the flowers are pretty (although I'm a huge pea/bean flower fan myself but it has already BEAN mentioned) and then you acquire an edible substance from that as well.

Hops!

Nasturtium is edible.
Black eyed susan.

If you can post your growing zone, I might be able to dig up a bunch of ideas. One should attempt to keep a good number of location appropriate pollinator friendly plants on their property, something I always take into account when deciding on new things to grow.

Back
Top Bottom