What can I put in the coop to help the smell ??

I've only used the granular, but if you put enough down under the roosts, it seems to help with ammonia and dampness (from the poop itself). I use a Parmesan cheese shaker and sprinkle it under the roosts. You'll have to experiment with how much does the job. I like DE, but I'm out and haven't called the dealer to see if he can get me more.

Quote:
lau.gif

I read some where on here that you can use lime to help with the drying and the smell...The garden type of lime...I cleaned out my coop and run sprinkled lime down put shavings in the coop and sand in the run added DE Every couple of days I add shavings on top of old shavings with DE and I have not had a smell problem....

That reminds me that I saw a 25# bags of lime at Ace Hardware and the bags were nice a clean and not damaged. I was going to get a bag and then it slipped my mind.....

What can I put in the coop to help the smell?

More ventilation, and droppings boards.

Honest.

Cheap, and you only have to build 'em once, not keep buying consumable products on an ongoing basis.

(Scrape the poo off the droppings board every morning, into a bucket, using a dustpan or wide putty knife; right there, you are removing almost half the daily poo from the coop)

Honest.

Pat​

Quote:
I agree, I like the granular better. I have used the Sweet PDZ & Stall Dry, they are the same as far as I can see. I have the DE & that is a fine powder but I don't care for how fine it is.

I also use lime in the goat pen & the chickens like to go in there so I don't know why you couldn't use that. I can't find DE food grade ANYWHERE so I use what I can find & sprinkle it lightly & have had NO problem! I even wrote to the company & they said that is it OK to use it in the straw of their runs & on the coop floors. But NOT to give orally!

Quote:
More ventilation, and droppings boards.

Honest.

Cheap, and you only have to build 'em once, not keep buying consumable products on an ongoing basis.

(Scrape the poo off the droppings board every morning, into a bucket, using a dustpan or wide putty knife; right there, you are removing almost half the daily poo from the coop)

Honest.

Pat

I'm putting up dropping boards. Sounds like it makes sense to me.

Thanks for the tip.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom