what can I use in bottom of bator during hatch

Chickaroos

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
I have seen some people use shelf liner to help new chicks stand easier then on the grate. Can I use a kitchen towel or sheet of cotton fabric? Is that safe to keep in the bator during the lock down days? Any other ideas??

I used cheesecloth with the first hatch, it was gross, stayed wet, babies couldn't dry.. never again will i use it. second hatch, i used the grippy patterned shelf liner, it was perfect!! Good luck! with towels i worry about their nails possibly getting caught..

I used cheesecloth with the first hatch, it was gross, stayed wet, babies couldn't dry.. never again will i use it. second hatch, i used the grippy patterned shelf liner, it was perfect!! Good luck! with towels i worry about their nails possibly getting caught..

I would think the towels would affect the humidity too, yes? I like the shelf liner idea...I posted this same question a few threads down!! thanks!

I would think the towels would affect the humidity too, yes? I like the shelf liner idea...I posted this same question a few threads down!! thanks!

I also used the shelf liner...Loved it...
I dont know about anyone elses incuabtor, but I didnt lay the liner down til lockdown as it did make the humidity go higher than it was supposed to, It was perfect for lock down humidity tho.

Dollar store, here I come. :)
I assume just give it a good wash in warm water and antibacterial soap.... My next 17 go into lockdown on Wednesday. and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Yes mam, thats what I did and dried it in the dryer (no heat of course) and threw it away after they hatched....:)

So using the rubber shelf mat had definite advantages but it also had some disadvantages. While the eggs were less likely to roll around like bowling pins whenever a chick hatched, it is not breathable enough to keep a chick alive should the egg roll over on top of it's pipped hole. I had a chick die like that so I'm not sure I'll use it again...I will most likely try the paper egg carton method. Cleanup will be a breeze...thank goodness because it's a MESS in there!

Back
Top Bottom