what can I use in bottom of bator during hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickaroos, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I have seen some people use shelf liner to help new chicks stand easier then on the grate. Can I use a kitchen towel or sheet of cotton fabric? Is that safe to keep in the bator during the lock down days? Any other ideas??

2. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Felt or paper towels is what I use. I think as long as its clean you'll be fine:) Good luck with your hatch!

3. adiekaty

adiekaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    I used cheesecloth with the first hatch, it was gross, stayed wet, babies couldn't dry.. never again will i use it. second hatch, i used the grippy patterned shelf liner, it was perfect!! Good luck! with towels i worry about their nails possibly getting caught..

4. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I would think the towels would affect the humidity too, yes? I like the shelf liner idea...I posted this same question a few threads down!! thanks!

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

I also used the shelf liner...Loved it...
    I dont know about anyone elses incuabtor, but I didnt lay the liner down til lockdown as it did make the humidity go higher than it was supposed to, It was perfect for lock down humidity tho.

6. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Dollar store, here I come. :)
    I assume just give it a good wash in warm water and antibacterial soap.... My next 17 go into lockdown on Wednesday. and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Yes mam, thats what I did and dried it in the dryer (no heat of course) and threw it away after they hatched....:)

8. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    So using the rubber shelf mat had definite advantages but it also had some disadvantages. While the eggs were less likely to roll around like bowling pins whenever a chick hatched, it is not breathable enough to keep a chick alive should the egg roll over on top of it's pipped hole. I had a chick die like that so I'm not sure I'll use it again...I will most likely try the paper egg carton method. Cleanup will be a breeze...thank goodness because it's a MESS in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by