1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I use to pickup poo from sand in my run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harleymom67, Oct 2, 2013.

1. harleymom67

harleymom67 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2013
    I have just put sand down in my run and loving it! I have read that using a litter scooper to clean with but want something that has a long handle...is there such a thing and where can I find one? What does everyone use? Also my first coop is raised so they can go underneath and enclosed with chicken wire attached to the run....so the only access to under coop is 2feet high...big mistake now I either have to just rake the poo or crawl under to clean....suggestions in next coop design would be appreciated.
    I'm new to chickens and so glad I found this site!

2. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I use a heavy duty cat litter box scooper. It's got a handle that is about 18 inches long. I have also thought of adding a short wooden broomstick to it.

3. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I use a plastic shovel that I drilled holes in for shifting the sand thru.

4. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I had a child's plastic snow shovel from when my daughter was very small and I just took a drill and drilled about 100 holes in it. Then I found a child's plastic leaf rake and it's great because the tines are closer together and it's also small and lightweight with a long handle. I just rake the sandy poo into the shovel, shake it so the sand falls through and then toss it into compost.

5. TheGeekySheep

TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I got a stall fork from Tractor Supply Company: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/future-forkreg;-mini-stall-fork?cm_vc=-10005

Then I cut a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth about the same size as the head, laid it on top of the tines and zip-tied it all around the edges. I just go in, scoop up a bunch of sand and shake it gently. The sand falls through the hardware cloth and tines of the fork and the poop is left on top. It curves up slightly at the edge so I can usually do a few scoops before emptying it out into a bucket. Works a treat.

Here's someone who did something similar (second picture down): http://ourcountrychronicles.blogspot.com/2012/02/coop-management.html

6. harleymom67

harleymom67 Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2013
    Some great ideas guys thanks bunches!

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Very good suggestions from all of our members. That being said it those things are not available in your area I would suggest GLOVES lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by