What can my chicks eat pellet feed?

ben0125

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
New Zealand, Auckland
My Coop
My Coop
So I have 3 hens and planning on getting two little hyline chicks (1 week old). I was wondering, since I already own some "chook chow" if my chicks could eat it? Ive blended it up and it is a powder like substance now and sitting in my fridge.

And I was wondering, what else can I feed more chicks apart from grain.

Chicks will need special food that has the correct protein levels, layer feed is also too high in calcium that can be harmful to chicks.

My chicks were broody raised and were eating bits of grass and things found around the yard by mum, so not sure on the second bit :)

Not familiar with "chook chow" ....Is it layer feed or for any age? Layer should not be fed to chicks due to the high calcium content. Grinding it down is good but too powdery may not be necessary. We have crumbles for chick starter. You could check with your feed store, not familiar to what you have in New Zeland..... @Teila is from Australia, maybe of more help.

Like it when members put down where they're located :thumbsup

Chicks will need special food that has the correct protein levels, layer feed is also too high in calcium that can be harmful to chicks.

My chicks were broody raised and were eating bits of grass and things found around the yard by mum, so not sure on the second bit :)
Thanks! How long do you think 10kg's of chick starter will last for 2 chicks??? I just didnt want to have leftover feed

Not familiar with "chook chow" ....Is it layer feed or for any age? Layer should not be fed to chicks due to the high calcium content. Grinding it down is good but too powdery may not be necessary. We have crumbles for chick starter. You could check with your feed store, not familiar to what you have in New Zeland..... @Teila is from Australia, maybe of more help.

Like it when members put down where they're located :thumbsup
I know its a crumble feed :p Take a look at the info http://www.takaninifeeds.co.nz/poultry/chook-chow/ , I don't think it says the calcium levels anywhere?

It does say it contains shell grit so that would be a no for chicks. I have 7 2 month old chicks and they are powering through the feed, I think you would be fine with 10kg, and you can feed it to them mixed with pullet feed later, just add a free choice calcium source

Thanks! How long do you think 10kg's of chick starter will last for 2 chicks??? I just didnt want to have leftover feed
My baby chicks ate more than what I thought they would. They need to be on the chick feed until they are about 16-18 weeks old. I'm not sure how much 10kg's is as in the states we go by pounds. I went through several bags of starter feed, I think they were 15 pound bags. I hope this helps.

There's no need to switch to growers / all flock feed until you finish the chick starter. As mentioned above, put oyster shell in a separate feeder and use either feeds for whole flock thereafter.

I know its a crumble feed :p Take a look at the info http://www.takaninifeeds.co.nz/poultry/chook-chow/ , I don't think it says the calcium levels anywhere?
It must contain calcium, since it is advertised as being suitable for laying birds.
It contains no animal protein, which is not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom