what can they do? neighbor wants my chickens gone.

the*chicken*chik :

thanks so much all. i am in pleasant view tennessee. i am so freaked out. i love my babies. she says she is scared of them.

Would she be willing to have you educate her a little and maybe allow you to introduce her to one of your more mild-mannered chickens? I had a horrible fear of birds before I got chickens, and now I am just
love.gif
so
love.gif
in
love.gif
LOVE
love.gif
with them.

When friends bring their kids over and they look intimidated, I bring out my "lap chicken" and make sweet introductions. It's always a positive experience and the kids always leave smiling.

I would offer her some fresh eggs and invite her over for some lemonade and introductions
thumbsup.gif

Well, if worse comes to worse and the local code enforcement people they tell you the chickens have to go, maybe you could make some arrangement with the other neighbor who is zone for agriculture to put them on their land, perhaps in exchange for some of the eggs or something.

i am in cheatham county. i think the right to farm applies to me too?
thumbsup.gif
i am in R1 low density residential? am i allowed to have them?
barnie.gif
i am reading and looking it up and am very confused.
ep.gif
she is a teacher you would think she would be willing but she is not so nice about it.
roll.png

Are your chickens in a coop/run? Do you think she would be willing to learn a bit about them? Ignorance is sometimes the hardest obstacle to overcome in any situation. I hope you are allowed by law to keep them but it would still be nice if your neighbor wasn't afraid of them.

we have eight that free range. they are my other next door neighbors too.the next door neighbor and i was feeding birds ie; blue birds, cardinals etc and a chicken came up and had babies. then one of my clients gave me a roo. then my father-in law gave me 2 road island reds. they are eating in her compost pile even though i feed them. i am not totally in love with these and the neighbors next to me has taken responsibility for them and is moving soon. they have decided not to pen them. i just dont want the other neighbor to get fed up and call in on us. i am worried about my newly hatched 35 bantam babies. the kids and i adore them. we are planning to build a run and coop for them soon. they are still in a brooder for now.
hmm.png

i am pretty sure you are safe...

Town of plesantville zoning
5.042 R-1, Estate Residential District
A. District Description
These districts are designed to provide suitable areas for very low-density
residential development characteristics by sufficient open space to retain a
rural appearance. Generally, single-family detached dwellings and
accessory structures will characterize these districts. These districts also
include community facilities, public utilities and an open residential
environment without creating objectionable or undesirable influences upon
residential development benefits open uses, which serve specifically the
residents of these districts or which.
Further, it is the intent of this ordinance that these districts be located so that
the provision of appropriate public serves will be physically and economically
facilitated, and so that provision is made for the orderly expansion and
maintenance of urban residential development within Pleasant View.
It is the express purpose to exclude from these districts all buildings or other
structures and uses having commercial characteristics whether operated for
profit or otherwise, except special exceptions and home occupations shall
be considered as not having such if, they, otherwise, conform to the
provisions of this ordinance.
This district is designed to provideto provide suitable open space for very low-density
residential development. It shall consist primarily of single family detached
dwellings and their accessory uses. This residential district shall be located
in those areas of the county that shall retain an optimum of open spaces to
maintain a rural setting yet afford residential developments a minimum of
urban character. This district is a transition zone between the agricultural
district and the more Urban Zone, R-1.B. Uses Permitted
1. Agricultural Services
Include various activities designed to provide needed services for
agricultural activities and is appropriately located in close proximity
thereto.
Crop Drying, Storage, and Processing
Crop Planting, Cultivating, and Protection Services
Horticultural Services
Livery Stables
Riding Stables
Soil Preparation Services
2. Crop and Animal Raising
Includes the raising of tree, vine, field, forage, and other plant crops
intended to provide food or fiber, as well as keeping, grazing, or
feeding animals for animal products, animal increase, or value
increase, but specifically excluding commercial feed lots and facilities
for the processing, packaging, or treatment of agricultural products.

Farms
Raising of Plants, Animals, and Fish
Truck Gardens

Quote:
This sounds to me like you're good to go. I would still attempt to win over your neighbor if possible though, makes things so much easier in the long run. Good luck!

My property is fenced, so thankfully I don't have to worry about this. But keep in mind that even if your birds ARE legal, if even one of them is making their way over to your complaining neighbor's property, she can report it. I love chickens, but I do know that chickens can tear the heck out of a yard and landscaping, so make sure your birds are in YOUR yard... Also, because you have neighbors that care (even if in a negative way), keep your coop/run as attractive as possible, because many neighbors don't like eyesores. Good luck - hope the law is on your side w/your birds
smile.png

The old saying goes that "Good fences make good neighbors". Do your best to keep your stuff on your side of the line. She may calm down once she doesn't see chickens in her compost pile.
smile.png
Some people are sticklers about property lines. I know I am when it comes to other people's dogs
wink.png

There is nothing you can do about the people on the other side whose chickens are running all over, but then your teacher neighbor can take it up with them. You said they may be leaving soon, so that may remedy the problem tremendously.
Good luck. Make effort to build a good relationship with your neighbor. It is so worth it. Maybe share some eggs with her.

Sad day for me today!
D.gif
I found out that the place that I have been housing my chics is not Ag. rated and it costs quite a bit to become Ag. zoned. So my sweeties and my beautiful rooster must go! If you want to find out about your city ordinances call the animal control people, or the city ord. people and they will either tell you what you need to know or they will direct you in the correct direction. Good luck. I hope you can keep them.

Back
Top Bottom