What can this be???

May 22, 2019
All was fine this morning. I went to refill their water and found a few hens covered in blood and found this poor girl in the corner, being pecked. What can I do to help her? Thank you!

Attachments

• 16757952546384879201544015649247.jpg
    16757952546384879201544015649247.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 18
It looks like she prolapsed and then the others pecked at it. Recovery will depend on the amount of damage done. You will need to clean it up well, apply triple antibiotic ointment, honey or sugar to the prolapse (sugar will often help the swelling go down). It needs to stay moist, if it dries out it will become necrotic. See how much damage has been done. If it's not too serious then it may heal, you will need to put the prolapse back in, and that may need to be done more than once to get it to stay. For some birds this becomes something that keeps happening, some will only do it once and then be fine, depending on the cause. If there is too much damage then infection is likely as bacteria can enter her abdominal cavity.
More info here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Yikes, to add to the above, keep her separated in a warm dark place. I would use old towels/blankets as bedding in a dog crate at this point instead of chips to keep debris out of the wound as much as possible.

It looks like she prolapsed and then the others pecked at it. Recovery will depend on the amount of damage done. You will need to clean it up well, apply triple antibiotic ointment, honey or sugar to the prolapse (sugar will often help the swelling go down). It needs to stay moist, if it dries out it will become necrotic. See how much damage has been done. If it's not too serious then it may heal, you will need to put the prolapse back in, and that may need to be done more than once to get it to stay. For some birds this becomes something that keeps happening, some will only do it once and then be fine, depending on the cause. If there is too much damage then infection is likely as bacteria can enter her abdominal cavity.
More info here:
Thank you so much for this information. I am going to do my best to get her comfortable and hopefully mended.

If she is leaking urates(white stuff) make sure you keep that cleaned. I had a hen who was vent pecked and leaked urates and when it dried it was almost impossible to remove. It becomes like concrete and will block their vent so they can't poop

I would bring her inside and soak just her bottom in warm soapy or Epsom salts water, and rub off any poop or blood. Do it daily to keep her clean. Dry her and follow the post of Coach 723. Honey or sugar plus a few drops of water can shrink tissue, so that the prolapse might be pushed back inside at some point. Others use hydrocortisone cream or hemorrhoid cream, even vaseline. Keeping it moist will help to keep the tissue alive. She is at risk for more pecking, and some hens will pull the intestines out, so keep her separated. A human calcium tablet vitamin D may be helpful. Sometimes hens strain with egg binding, and cause a prolapse.

Last edited:
More info here:
So I tried to clean her up, and there seems to be some intestine coming out one one side of her and then there is a yellowish (doesn't look like poop) drainage all around her. She did lay this am, so I don't believe she's egg bound. I have her inside and covered with a towel.

Back
Top Bottom