what can use for a brooder? what can I do about shavings?

allgoaton

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
My ducks are 2 weeks old and they are HUGE and have outgrown the rabbit hutch that was being used as a brooder. It has to be cleaned multiple times a day. I am using old towels on the bottom but they are drenched so quickly. I have tried shavings but they eat them, or appear to attempt to eat them, as they attempt to eat everything it seems.

I don't know how to get through the next whole month at least before they can safely be outside. What should I do? I need something to use as a bigger brooder and I need suggestions on what to do on the bottom since I am worried about them eating shavings.

I bought a kiddie pool. I was concerned about the shavings as well, but mine just seem to taste them.....not actually eating them. Then to cut down on the water mess I put those puppy pee pads under the waterer. It soaks up the water quite nicely. Anyone else have bedding ideas?

Thanks! Maybe we will go that route and figure that the ducks are just chewing on the shavings and not eating them.

X2 and
welcome-byc.gif
allgoaton!

We had the same problem with our duckling eating the wood chips. We tried bigger wood chips, but there were smaller ones mixed in and he ate those too. There were a couple of times when he was near choking - scared us to death. We took them out. Now we use straw like we have in our coop and run outside. That works great. And he/she seems to love it.

I use kiddy pools for all my ducklings one has boxes I cut apart and stood up around it to make it higher for the older ducklings I use hay straw mix from the hay loft I gather every year when I clean it out. I raise 500 duckling every year this way had no issues. I have made a water holder that the extra water drips in a pan I dump every day I'll try to get pics of that

I have a large plastic tub I used as a brooder and now use for the ducks when it's thunder/lightning outside. I use pine shavings from TSC as their bedding and have a smaller tub about 6"x9", with two even smaller tubs inside. One for water and one for food so if their water drips it or food spills it goes to the bottom of the 6"x9" tub!!

Back
Top Bottom