What can we do with our flock? Brainstorm!

baillywagner87

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2021
Hey everyone!

So we have a RIR roo (Little Jerry Seinfeld) and I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on what might happen if we cross him with the following breeds:

Delaware
Black Cochin
Sapphire Gem
Lavender Ameraucana
Barred Rock

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which hens would be best to focus on crossing with Jerry the RIR roo and which are just going to end up being "barnyard mix" crapshoots. 🤣

Thoughts, questions, opinions, and knowledge all welcome! I would also love pointers on good places to learn more about breeding and genetics. Thank you so much!

we have a RIR roo...
what might happen if we cross him with the following breeds:

Delaware
Black Cochin
Sapphire Gem
Lavender Ameraucana
Barred Rock

RIR (Rhode Island Red) rooster crossed to:

Delaware hen will give Sexlink chicks (males are silver with white barring, females are gold/red with no white barring. Males may have red leakage in their feathers when they grow up.)

Black Cochin hen will give black chicks (may have red leakage when they grow up: look at pictures of Black Sexlink females for an example of the color a female is likely to have). Her chicks will probably have feathered feet, too.

Sapphire Gem hen will give black chicks and blue chicks in about equal numbers. Depending on what cross created the Sapphire Gem, you might get 50% red chicks or you might get no red chicks.

Lavender Ameraucana will give black chicks (they will carry the gene for lavender, but not show it.) Daughters should lay green eggs when they grow up, and all chicks should have muff/beard.

Barred Rock will give Sexlink chicks (females black, males black with white barring and they have a yellow spot on their head at hatch. When they grow up, both genders may have red leakage in their feathers-- look for pictures of Black Sexlinks, because this is the cross that produces them.)

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

So we have a RIR roo (Little Jerry Seinfeld) and I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on what might happen if we cross him with the following breeds:

Delaware
Black Cochin
Sapphire Gem
Lavender Ameraucana
Barred Rock

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which hens would be best to focus on crossing with Jerry the RIR roo and which are just going to end up being "barnyard mix" crapshoots. 🤣

Thoughts, questions, opinions, and knowledge all welcome! I would also love pointers on good places to learn more about breeding and genetics. Thank you so much!
Apparently, if you cross a RIR with a Delaware, you would get a red sex link, although you’re might me a bit different, cause your RIR rooster is a mixed breed

PICTURES OF RED SEX LINKS

Attachments

• 49E1AA36-BBBA-41B3-BE2E-7CF214E88B9F.png
    49E1AA36-BBBA-41B3-BE2E-7CF214E88B9F.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 1711660F-773A-4AF7-B02B-A110D4133CDB.png
    1711660F-773A-4AF7-B02B-A110D4133CDB.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
RIR (Rhode Island Red) rooster crossed to:

Delaware hen will give Sexlink chicks (males are silver with white barring, females are gold/red with no white barring. Males may have red leakage in their feathers when they grow up.)

Black Cochin hen will give black chicks (may have red leakage when they grow up: look at pictures of Black Sexlink females for an example of the color a female is likely to have). Her chicks will probably have feathered feet, too.

Sapphire Gem hen will give black chicks and blue chicks in about equal numbers. Depending on what cross created the Sapphire Gem, you might get 50% red chicks or you might get no red chicks.

Lavender Ameraucana will give black chicks (they will carry the gene for lavender, but not show it.) Daughters should lay green eggs when they grow up, and all chicks should have muff/beard.

Barred Rock will give Sexlink chicks (females black, males black with white barring and they have a yellow spot on their head at hatch. When they grow up, both genders may have red leakage in their feathers-- look for pictures of Black Sexlinks, because this is the cross that produces them.)
This is amazing, thank you!!! Are there any breeds in particular that you think might be fun to cross with our RIR roo? We're looking to add 5 more hens and would love variety.

Back
Top Bottom