What can you do with a rooster you can't keep? (besides eat it)

I offered two of mine for sale for a couple of weeks, then I got desperate so I went to the feed store and asked if they knew anyone who would take a couple of free roosters. He gave me a phone number and I met the man the next day and gave them away...he probably ate them...I just can't do it either.
th.gif

~Rebecca

are roosters good /ok to eat? Do they sell them in the grocery as chicken meat or is it only the hens that are too old to lay ?

are roosters good /ok to eat?  Do they sell them in the grocery as chicken meat or is it only the hens that are too old to lay ?

The chickens that you get in the store are chickens that are developed to grow fast with lots of meat. They are both hens and roosters. The store chickens are not good/great egg layers. They are for just meat.

The extra roosters people have are just as good as the meat chickens but do have less meat on them.
If a rooster is older it needs to be pressure cooked but if it is young it will be good for anything.

The old laying hens or older chickens of any purpose have to be stewed or pressure cooked. You might find the old hens in things like Campbell's soup.

I canned some of my extra roosters and gave some away.

Back
Top Bottom