What can you give chicks instead of vitamins if you don't have any?

good evidence never to help a chick out of the shell. If a chick can't hatch by itself then it's chances of suvival are very slim.

I know it can be done but for the 1% of cases where a chick survives it isn't worth it for the other 99%.

Once you have dealt with a sick chick crying for a week, you will think twice about helping a chick that was not meant to make it.

But in order to give it the best chances it can be fed scrambled egg. Or the boiled yolk mixed with water in a paste.

You can aslo feed it bakers yeast in some lukewarm water - that has lots of vitamins.

Either it will straighten out its feet o rit won't and if it doesn't then it won't make it. I've never succeedesd with a shoe, no professional breeder would use a shoe.

It's not a proven or (imo recommended) aproach, it's just something that is suggested online because nobody wants to be realistic and say don't help chicks out the shell.

When I first started I would think helping them out was the humane thing to do. It's not - it's interfereing with nature's natural process and you cannot cheat the process, either the chick is strong enough or it is too weak.

I have tried and it is not worth trying so please people. Raise the healthiest chicks.

Unfortunately that means not raising the weak ones

my incubator has a humidity issue. I have to help the chicks hatch and they grow up fine. I wish I had a better incubator.

good evidence never to help a chick out of the shell. If a chick can't hatch by itself then it's chances of suvival are very slim.

I know it can be done but for the 1% of cases where a chick survives it isn't worth it for the other 99%.

Once you have dealt with a sick chick crying for a week, you will think twice about helping a chick that was not meant to make it.

But in order to give it the best chances it can be fed scrambled egg. Or the boiled yolk mixed with water in a paste.

You can aslo feed it bakers yeast in some lukewarm water - that has lots of vitamins.

Either it will straighten out its feet o rit won't and if it doesn't then it won't make it. I've never succeedesd with a shoe, no professional breeder would use a shoe.

It's not a proven or (imo recommended) aproach, it's just something that is suggested online because nobody wants to be realistic and say don't help chicks out the shell.

When I first started I would think helping them out was the humane thing to do. It's not - it's interfereing with nature's natural process and you cannot cheat the process, either the chick is strong enough or it is too weak.

I have tried and it is not worth trying so please people. Raise the healthiest chicks.

Unfortunately that means not raising the weak ones
My dad was the one who helped him out. He used to breed heritage breeds for years. We had 400 odd chooks at one point not counting the other poultry. He helps them out and gives them a shot but doesn't hold his breath on if it'll survive or not. I guess we're just those people that if they think there's a chance we try.

I think it depends on the circumstances and commitment from individuals to save a weaken chick.

It can be done but sometimes time consuming.

I did save a weak chick that was last to hatch, it also came out with splayed legs. I fixed the leg and lack of nutrition. It turned to be a strong healthy cockerel, but a bobcat nabbed him.
I am very dedicated to all my animals. I have bottle fed lambs and a goat. I was getting up every 2 hours on school nights to keep the lambs alive. I have a problem where I don't like seeing animals suffer but if there seems to be a chance I'll take it.

I have heard many stories of birds with deformities still leading a healthy life.

Don't hold me to any of this. Going off what I've read!

Do you have any Pedialyte? I've heard this can be used just like we use for kids, or possibly some type of electrolyte filled drink? Gatorade, Powerade, vitamin water? Not sure how it would work, but might help in a pinch?
No, we don't have any of that here. I tried to find some but nothing.
Don’t substitute foods for chick starter, which has the right balance of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. Just offer a watery mixture of the chick starter. Electrolytes which is better for reviving a chick can be made or something like gatorade, pedialyte or similar will work. Homemade electrolytes are fine. Could the chick have 2 vents, a common deformity? I would keep the poo washed off with warm soapy water.
Recipe for homemade electrolytes:
240 ml or 8 oz water
1tsp sugar
1/8 tsp of salt
He has a starter mush and honey water at the moment. I don't think it has 2 vents. Poo is washed off and I've been keeping an eye on it. I think because he's just having mush it's a bit runnier so is making more of a mess. Thank you for this recipe. Would honey be a better substitute of sugar because it's natural? Or just leave as is?

my incubator has a humidity issue. I have to help the chicks hatch and they grow up fine. I wish I had a better incubator.
This was a test run for my new incubator. Dad was saying he might take it back. My other one wasn't holding heat as well as it should and there were cold patches. The incubator was 10 year old though so shouldn't be surprised. Still hatched out a few ducks last year for me.

Thank you for all the advice guys. Sadly the chick passed away during the night. The power went out and even though my parents knew they didn't tell me. The other chicks were also cold when I went out but because they were able to huddle up together they were fine. But the chick in the box with barely any feathers died. Apparently there was nothing I could've done but I can already think of 40 ways I could've kept him warm.

Thank you guys. I'll remember this for when I hatch out other chicks and next time I'll know what to do straight away.

Thank you for all the advice guys. Sadly the chick passed away during the night. The power went out and even though my parents knew they didn't tell me. The other chicks were also cold when I went out but because they were able to huddle up together they were fine. But the chick in the box with barely any feathers died. Apparently there was nothing I could've done but I can already think of 40 ways I could've kept him warm.

Thank you guys. I'll remember this for when I hatch out other chicks and next time I'll know what to do straight away.

sorry for your loss.

Don't hold me to any of this. Going off what I've read!

Do you have any Pedialyte? I've heard this can be used just like we use for kids, or possibly some type of electrolyte filled drink? Gatorade, Powerade, vitamin water? Not sure how it would work, but might help in a pinch?

No, we don't have any of that here. I tried to find some but nothing.

He has a starter mush and honey water at the moment. I don't think it has 2 vents. Poo is washed off and I've been keeping an eye on it. I think because he's just having mush it's a bit runnier so is making more of a mess. Thank you for this recipe. Would honey be a better substitute of sugar because it's natural? Or just leave as is?
I'm of the understanding that honey has trace bacteria in it. May I reiterate: wet the chick starter with homemade electrolytes until you can go to town. I'd get Poly-vi-sol in the infant section. It comes with a dropper. The chick is so tiny. A drop or 2. Following with drops of water as with any medicine it can have a strong taste. Good for you for watchmaking to help your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom