What can you tell me about millet?

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
A friend of mine just discovered that she has a nice patch of millet growing in her yard. Millet is bird feed right? Chickens are birds..... ergo free food??

How would I harvest it? Can I just cut and dry the stalks and then put the stalks where they can peck them??

My chickens have been eating millet, usually once a week or so, since they were 2 or 3 weeks old. We have a garden space tagged for planting them some millet in the spring.

Our feed store will get the monster sized millet stalks in every so often, and sell them 3 for $1.00, and I usually get $5.00. I save them mostly for our cockatiel, but take 3 or 4 out for the girls.

I can offer this warning: once your girls figure out what it is, and recognize it, you are at risk of attack, as mine will jump off the ground to rip it out of my hands.

lol.png

Em

My brother-inlaw has a big millet patch. I have a 5 gallon bucket clear full of it. Just hang it in some panty hose and let it dry and they love it. And it is good for them.

Oh I forgot to add: When mine were little, less than four months old, I always took the buds off the stalk and discarded the stalk. The reason being I had to literally pull a stalk out of one piggy's (I mean chicken's) crop. That same chicken tried to swallow a fig whole yesterday.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom