What caused one of my Americauna chicken to lay an egg like this?

Ollie72

Hatching
Aug 8, 2020
I've got a small flock of 4 chickens. 2 Rhode Islands and 2 Ameraucanas. They are 10 month old. One of my Ameraucanas finally started laying the other day. Laid an egg 2 days in a row. Then stopped again. 3 days later she lays this soft transparent glob. I'll try to attach a picture of it. Shes acting fine. They free range during the day but also gets free choice laying mash, oyster shells, sweet feed, and grit. They get treats once a day whether it be dried meal worms, bread, etc. I hope this is normal. I love my girls and want them to be healthy and happy.

Attachments

• 20210123_205339.jpg
    20210123_205339.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi, Ollie. I would not worry too much. When hens first start laying this can happen as their systems begin to work the kinks out. For myself, though, I would not let my birds free range all day. I would keep them confined most of the day just to make sure they are getting good nutrition from that laying feed until about 2 or 3:00 in the afternoon. Then I would let them free range a few hours in the afternoon. Having the grit and oyster shell available to free feed is a very good idea, as is keeping treats and snacks to a minimum. I'm sure your hens will get in the swing of things very soon!

Thank you all so much. I normally let them out around 1 in the afternoon unless it's a really nice day. I just love this group. I've gotten so much good info on here. Ive got cattle and goats too but I've been around them all my life. I will say I never thought I could get attached to birds though! Again thank you all for your knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom