What causes Blood Rings?

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
i know most the time it means a dead chick. embryo but some people say they have outed some out that had this ring, could what they be looking at really be really big veins?

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
ok thanks also do blodd rings always look like "rings" as my egg looks like it has very thick but runny veins so i am not sure but there was no movement i will see if i can get pick its hard to explain

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
A blood ring will either circle the egg around the middle area OR it will look like someone drew a circle on the inside of the eggshell with a red pencil. There will not be a good veining inside the egg since a blood ring contains the blood that used to be in those veins. Below is one type of blood ring.
6-days-BR-02_demo.jpg

Comes from Mink Hollow Farm's excellent site on incubating and candling.
http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Week1/Week-1.html

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I just candled a bunch of eggs and I have at least two that have large THICK blood rings. If bacteria causes embryo death, which causes blood rings, why wouldn't I have more than just two out of the 3 dozen or so eggs that I have incubating?

OCchickens

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Brea, California
Quote:
I have seen what I thought was a blood ring around 1 wk, kind of "blurry" looking blood vessels at the margin of the embryo development, but it ended up being a good egg.

Also -- I'm not sure what the connection is between bacteria & a blood ring. Can you get a blood ring when the embryo dies from any cause, not just bacteria? Most of the quitters I've had, I didn't see a blood ring -- just absence of good blood vessels & a still embryo. When I've opened them up, there is no obvious bacterial growth -- no odor, etc, even after it's been dead for 1-2 wk.

Jamie821

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Niota, Tennessee
any chick whether from bacteria or just a quitter developes a blood ring. It is from the blood in the veins running through the chick it dies for whatever cause and the blood drains from it and causes a ring. Their is also a bacteria ring that can form in the eggs.

Top Bottom