What causes these problems in newly hatched chicks?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Almost every time I hatch chiks I get at least one with splayed legs, bent toes, sideways feet, etc. I've heard they can be caused by the incubation process. I mean splayed legs would be after the chick hatches and slips. I'm aware that for example bent toes can also be genetic or caused by inbreeding. But what exactly in the incubation process can cause problems? Humidity too high/low? Though I try to never let my humidity get below 40s or above 65. I have had it go up to 80s when chicks begin to hatch. I currently have some eggs on day 9 and don't want to make the same mistakes that result in chicks lost.

Last year I had 2 chicks that had issues die. One seemed to have splayed legs, sideways feet and was kind of swayed to one side and couldn't walk.
The other also had splayed legs (which I tried to fix in both chicks), but a few days after I moved it to the brooder it started making weird head movements and randomly fully stretch out it's legs for a few seconds periodically. It was really weird. It wouldn't eat or drink and died a few days later. Both chicks came from shipped eggs that I bought.

The first chick I mentioned.
20220424_135714.jpg

The 2nd chick. A little lavender silkie. I unfortunately have lost all clear videos of him doing those strange movements, so after some digging this is the only one I found. It's the little one on the left.

Back
Top Bottom