What chicken coop?

AlliBunny

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Hi guys!
smile.png
So we're finally getting a chicken coop. We were thinking about building one, but my dad doesn't really have the time with work to and no one else (including myself) could probably build one that turned out half okay haha. So we're just ordering one, we just don't know what one yet! My dad was really picky about it for awhile but now he said he'll just get whatever I want since the chickens are basically mine. As long as it fits and it's not too expensive it's alright.

So these are the two that it has basically came down to:

Details here: http://www.aosom.com/d-3439/Deluxe-...-Coop-Poultry-Hen-House-with-Outdoor-Run.html

and

Details here: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/All-American-Chicken-Coop-p1367.aspx?utm_source=MPC&utm_medium=Slideshow&utm_campaign=HPSlideshow&utm_content=all-American#

So I was wondering which chicken coop you guys thought was better? The #1 thing for it that I want is my chickens to like it and be safe in it. We have three standard sized chickens. We live right next to a wetlands wildlife area and there's tons of them were we live that do have wildlife in them, including lots of coyotes, raccoons, and we've seen a few minks too, and who knows what else that might not be so nice with chickens? So because of this there free-ranging time is going to have to be always supervised just in case, and because i'd be paranoid otherwise. So I really want them to have a coop they like for days when we're really busy and don't have a ton of time to be watching them.

I've read everything on the coops, but since I've never had chickens before and no one in my family has either, I'm not sure what's most important for the chickens. The top one has a bigger run (I think?) but the bottom one I think has more room to perch inside since the nesting boxes are underneath it. I thought that was kind of cool but I didn't know if it was actually bad or something since no other chicken coops seem to have that...? Well enough of my rambling, I just want to hear from the chicken experienced people which one they think is the better choice for my girls!
smile.png
Also if you know of any good chicken coops around this size that you think my chickens would like even more, feel free to suggest them! Thank you!
2665.png

Oh sweetie, I hate to tell you but we have had rabbit hutches made the same way those coops are. They will not protect your babies from all that wildlife!
For the cost the quality is so poor! Is there someone you could ask to help you build a coop? Is there a neighbor or friend who has tools or construction knowledge that you could enlist the help of? How about Craigslist? There are often better coops for sale on there that would cost you the same or even less!
For the price of the coop you linked you could easily find supplies and pay someone and come out with a much sturdier coop!

Well I mean, my dad's the branch manager of an engineering company and does a lot of construction and stuff and he could build one but during the week he's working almost 24/7 and he's to proud of being that that if someone else built one he would only notice the little flaws in it and hate it. Plus he doesn't know exactly what to make it like, but I guess I could try to find something simple that shows you how to do it that he could do in a weekend...

Are most already built coops not very good quality in general?
hmm.png
I mean I've looked all over the internet for months and all the ones that seemed really nice were priced like in the $1,000's and that's a little much haha. But do you think we'd actually end up with a nicer coop by building our own even though my dad has very little knowledge of chickens? Or do you know any companies that have really sturdy coops?

I'm sorry but have to agree with Jessica. I have the exact same one as the one in the first picture. It is pretty much falling apart and I only got it in May of this year. The wood is extremely flimsy and the whole coop part has ventilation openings where the wood pieces are pulling away from each other. It's almost impossible to get the coop door closed due to swelling of some kind. And the rainy season has not even started yet. I would recommend you stay away from any kind of coop/hutch that mentions 'fir wood". I believe one hard push and anything that really wants to, would be able to get through the wood or wire part. The coop's wooden slats is maybe 3/8 -5/8" thick. It's not a huge problem where I live as we don't have predators but even so, I don't think it will last more than one winter. Not worth the money or the extra time and money you would have to spend to replace it in a very short time.
The one in the second picture is very small. It looks a lot bigger in the picture. I got that one first, and returned it because it was so small. It only has 20sqf. Each chicken should have at least 10 sqf especially if they are going to be in there most of the time. And, if at all possible get one that is high enough for you to be able to walk into the run. It will make your life so much easier in the long run.
Sorry I can't help you with ideas where to find one that is better and still reasonably priced. Still looking myself. I think if at all possible, most people build it.
Good luck.

If you search "chicken coop plans" here on the BYC you'll find some coop plans I think your dad could build in not too much time. From what I have seen searching the web for reasonably priced coops, it's way better to build one.

Last edited:
Well I mean, my dad's the branch manager of an engineering company and does a lot of construction and stuff and he could build one but during the week he's working almost 24/7 and he's to proud of being that that if someone else built one he would only notice the little flaws in it and hate it. Plus he doesn't know exactly what to make it like, but I guess I could try to find something simple that shows you how to do it that he could do in a weekend...

Are most already built coops not very good quality in general?
hmm.png
I mean I've looked all over the internet for months and all the ones that seemed really nice were priced like in the $1,000's and that's a little much haha. But do you think we'd actually end up with a nicer coop by building our own even though my dad has very little knowledge of chickens? Or do you know any companies that have really sturdy coops?

A friend of mine built BIG hoop coops for under 300.! I know your dad can come up with something sturdy and won't cost you a bank account to build that will protect your babies!

If you search "chicken coop plans" here on the BYC you'll find some coop plans I think your dad could build in not too much time. From what I have seen searching the web for reasonably priced coops, it's way better to build one.

YES! There are so many inexpensive sturdy coops here on BYC that would be so much better than those expensive pieces of pre-fab garbage!

We bought this one

Which looks a little like your top choice. It was supposed to hold 3 chickens on a little roost plus the nesting box but in reality the entire coop and nesting box fits two chickens laying eggs at the same time. We cut the rest of the frame off and built it into our renovations as the nesting box. Looks so nice in the pic though doesn't it lol

When we first had our babies in there (because it does fit three chicks). I didn't even trust it to leave them in there when we weren't home. A determined dog could break into it in seconds I'm sure.

For the money you will spend you may be better off looking at a hardware store for an aviary style metal shed type chook pen?

Back
Top Bottom