what chicken is laying?

we are thinking the dark cornish, she is red and what we see on the internet she looks like other hens that are laying of her kind

she lays like this

afternoon - skip day - morning - afternoon - skip day

the eggs are stil the same size and they are small

thanks all this is our best guess

the speccaled sussex or red but not deep red and there wattels are still growing

Last edited:
I remember reading something on here about sticking a q tip with any food coloring but red and some vinegar on it in the hen's vent. The next egg they lay will have a colored ring around it. I don't remember much else on the subject, but if anyone can dig up that thread or info I'd be grateful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734785/has-anyone-heard-of-putting-food-coloring-in-a-hens-vent

We have done this with success. - very helpful. they are calmer at night, easier to handle. We have a flashlight you can wear on your head, used that to keep my hands free, and recorded which chicken had which color (also have leg bands so it is easy to identify duplicate birds). We've also done venting first thing in the morning (before anyone has laid...) then use the time to do a quick health check (body weight, combs, wattles, check feathers/legs for mites). get it all done in one fell swoop - that is my motto!

good luck!
thumbsup.gif

I have a 6 and a half month old Dark Cornish hen who has been laying an egg everyday for a bit over a month now. It is an off white color like the one you pictured and about the same size. Dark Cornish are typically not the best layers on earth but maybe yours and mine are extra happy or something . : ) When I bought her as a chick the feed store lady told me she was an Ameracauna but I just don't think she is. That is her in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

In the next picture, you'll see my New Hampshire with black on her tail. She lays an egg the same size and color as my Dark Cornish. The one I think is called a Red Star (the one with no black on her tail) lays a nice medium sized dark brown egg.

These pics were taken a month or so before they started laying.

I have a 6 and a half month old Dark Cornish hen who has been laying an egg everyday for a bit over a month now. It is an off white color like the one you pictured and about the same size. Dark Cornish are typically not the best layers on earth but maybe yours and mine are extra happy or something . : ) When I bought her as a chick the feed store lady told me she was an Ameracauna but I just don't think she is. That is her in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

In the next picture, you'll see my New Hampshire with black on her tail. She lays an egg the same size and color as my Dark Cornish. The one I think is called a Red Star (the one with no black on her tail) lays a nice medium sized dark brown egg.

These pics were taken a month or so before they started laying.

In the first picture, the Dark Cornish on the left is a rooster and the one on the right is a Dark Cornish pullet. In the second photo you are right about the Red Star they are also commonly called Red Sex Links, Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, and etc..
smile.png

Last edited:
To be sure you can squeeze a couple of drops of food coloring into her vent. I recommend blue or green as it cannot be mistaken for blood as red can and it is easier to see than yellow. The food coloring will dye the shell of the egg next time she lays. The dye will last 2 days or so. I picked up this recommendation from a vet on here and have used it several times. It works great and will definately let you know who is laying.

edit: Oops, did not see the other posts until I had posted this...

Last edited:
Quote:
PLEASE, NO vinegar with the food coloring in the vent! That would BURN! Mix food coloring with some sort of oil, like olive oil, for example. Or you could try some lipstick on the outside of the vent. I've heard that some people have had success with that.

Back
Top Bottom