What Chicken Most Likely..............

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by drdoolittle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I know there is an olive eggers thread on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, is there a certain breed of chicken that would lay olive-colored eggs? I am just now starting to collect some olive eggs from my coop. I think it's my blue Araucana/Ameraucana (sp?). Not sure which breed she is-----she has the little muff under her chin, but she does have a tail.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    The only olive eggers I know of are mixed breeds. Usually a breed that lays blue tinted eggs mixed with a dark egg layer. These are technically classified as easter eggers as there is not standard for them

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What you have is an Easter Egger. (which olive eggers are) It is a crossbreed or unrecognized variety of chicken that lays blue or green (and even olive green) eggs.

Olive Eggers are a cross of a dark egg layer and a blue/green egg layer. Their eggs are a dark, rich olive green color.

Often normal Easter Eggers lay a green egg verging on the olive tone, but to me, it isn't the same as what an Olive Egger produces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by