What chickens are the most broody?

I'm not certain what types of rats you have over there in Mississippi, but I know that here in California, they can scale small buildings with the ease of a seasoned rock climber. You're not going to solve anything by merely keeping the nesting boxes off the floor. No, more likely you're going to have to get them raised up off the floor and build yourself one fortress of a coop around them. And I wouldn't use plain old chicken wire to cover your coop and run with because, although it's name is 'chicken' wire, and one could easily assume that it's meant for 'chickens', it's not. Most predators, all dogs and even some chickens, have managed to either tear through, eat through or simply charge through every single coop that I'd done up with chicken wire. But, lucky for me, with age comes wisdom (sometimes),and now the only wire I use around my chickens is either 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth. It's a sturdier, more stout wire with a much smaller gauged opening than the ubiquitous 1" chicken wire. For a rat (and pretty much any other predator) proof coop though, be sure to dig about a 12" trench all the way around and lay your wire out around it like an apron and then bend the wire down into the trench and cover it back up with dirt, essentially burying it so nothing can tunnel under your coop...for instance...like rats.
thumbsup.gif
hehehe !!!

Oh so sorry, but I didn't quite get the last thing you wrote. I think you may have been starting to talk about your chicken's feed, or maybe it's about what you feed, or don't feed, your chickens...it sounds to me like you're feeding them corn??? IDK...I think I got lost somewhere in your last sentence...I apologize...

Your supposed to you steel chicken wire wit one wall on the outside and one wall on the inside to back up the coop .

I am feeding them corn same as my waterfowl but tart and grow when they are babies .

i was just wondering i got 4 plymouth rocks or white pullets and i got one broody is that a good chicken that will go broody every once in a while or is it just a once in a lifetime thing shes only a year or younger old

In my limited experience, the Orpington is among the broodier. Of my five hens, she's the only one to have gone broody. And when I researched broodiness on these BackyardChickens forums, it seems like most of the discussions were about an Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom