What chickens do you want??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tono1998, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Tono1998

Tono1998 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Hi.
    I am wondering what chickens are in demand right now. I am starting a small scale chicken buisnes with 4 coops. So what 4 chickens are in demand. I thought Rhode Island Reds, Buffs, Silkies, and I don't know. What chickens are in demand????

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Since you are small scale maybe you want to think about getting some less common colors or breeds. That way you offer something different from most hatcheries and would not be competing directly with them. For instance, you could get Orpingtons in a different color like lavender perhaps. Silkies are always popular of course. I noticed that when I was ordering from Ideal Poultry, which has some less usual varieties, that they had waiting lists for certain breeds and colors. For instance, I was hoping to order a Speckled Sussex, but none of them were available for months.
    Check out their site to get some ideas: http://www.idealpoultry.com/

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I really want silkies!

4. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    There are tons of breeds I would love to have but can't wait long enough to get them. Lavender Orpingtons, Speckled Sussexs, Welsummers, Copper Marans, Salmon Faverolles, the list goes on and on for me!

5. I want more OEG'S!!! Bantom's! I love those! and I Really want a Golden Duckwing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I don't have one, but Buff Orphingtons are a very classic and pretty breed. Also Easter Eggers because the color eggs. Speckled Sussex are pretty, I love my Wyandottes, the Golden and Silver laced are very pretty as well as the Columbine colorings. Plymouth Rocks are pretty, I have always liked the look of the Barred, I have a Silver Penciled and she is beautiful. Marans are also popular. Welsummers are also pretty. It just dependes what you are wanting, egg production or show birds.
    Cochins, Silkies, and Polish are all popular show breeds. Along with Mille Fleur Bantams ( I want one so bad!!)
    Orphingtons, Sussex, and Plymouth Rock are all good layers. Hybrids are also popular now, like the sex links, I have an I.S.A Brown hybrid. Also White Leghorns are popular. Hoped this helped, good luck!

7. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Personally, I would like blue bantam orpingtons, or blue bantam almost anything, and I'm also interested in Swedish Flower and Polish. I was originally going to get 2 fancy hens before I saw the need to rescue my last couple. Now I'm at maximum occupancy. :(

8. blackgum

blackgum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    in the woods
    my kick is wyandottes missing two color,s white well just hatched buff columbian all large have some SQ silver suusex and silver penciled wyandottesnice black have 6 colors of wyandottes 10 breeds with a total of 50 birds

9. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    A couple years back blue laced red Wyandottes were in and are still quite common. Then rare colored Marans chickens were fetching a high price. Now I see a lot of lavender Orpingtons and coronation Sussex being wanted. There are four breeds to look into :)

10. Cowboy44

Cowboy44 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    I have Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, White Wyandottes, Partridge Rocks and Barred Rocks but I'm hoping to sell all of them except my Buffs and order some Black Astralorps and White Orpingtons and try to breed and have Splash Australorps and Blue Australorps by the end of next year. So far every thing I own I've been very happy with but just looking for something that not many other people have. So in my opinion try for something new. Something others have to come to you for if they really want that breed or color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by