What chicks are you getting this Spring?

BakerGirl

Chirping
Nov 5, 2016
Give out shout out to your Spring chick plans.

I have orders in with some breeders for a Swedish Flower Hen, Lemon Frisian Gull, a splash Ameraucana, and a trio of Olandsk Dwarfs. I also plan on getting a French BCM, and am looking for a breeder that raises Delawares near me. Fun, fun, fun!

We just received some Buff Orpingtons- our first of this breed. We also just hatched some of our own which will be an interesting mix. The only rooster we have right now is a very odd looking silkie/cochin type but he's been very busy taking care of the barred rocks, reds and wyandottes. Can't wait to see how these look when they are full grown!

We just received some Buff Orpingtons- our first of this breed. We also just hatched some of our own which will be an interesting mix. The only rooster we have right now is a very odd looking silkie/cochin type but he's been very busy taking care of the barred rocks, reds and wyandottes. Can't wait to see how these look when they are full grown!
What do they look like now? Bet they are cute fuzz balls.

I've been thinking about this. We've got 3 RIRs and I'd like to add 3-5 more this year. I'm open to suggestions. (We're in SoCal)

I've been thinking about this. We've got 3 RIRs and I'd like to add 3-5 more this year. I'm open to suggestions. (We're in SoCal)
Ah San Diego, my old stomping ground. Be careful and buy from a breeder, not just any backyard flock. Ya'll are close to the border and need to make sure the birds are US bred and clean of disease. The Mexicans have a tendency to bring their fighting birds across the borer without health checks. Don't want to buy from a non NPIP flock which also has fighting birds on the premises. How about getting some top notch RIR 's and upgrading your flock? Then you could maybe show them, That would be fun.
Or get some high quality Marans. Ones from a strain which is winnig for dark eggs at the egg shows. Then show your eggs. Lots of fun . Pick 3 eggs, pack include 5.oo entry fee, and mail to the show. Eggs are judged and destroyed. Club sends you any prizes you won. This is lots of fun, esp. for the kids! You can check the egg show results online and buy from a winning breeder. When you win, brag including " these are (name the beeder) strain." That's always a nice touch. Gives your seller some nice press and a nice thank you for sharing their birds with you.
Best,
Karen
And no, I am not rac-ist about Mexican chickens. I just remember several years ago when a poultry farm employee brought his illegal fighting game cock from Mexico to a San Diego county poultry farm up near Norco. The game cock was sick, the farm got sick and 100,000 birds were destroyed. Yes, you read that right, 100,000 for one game cocks' sickness. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Ah San Diego, my old stomping ground. Be careful and buy from a breeder, not just any backyard flock. Ya'll are close to the border and need to make sure the birds are US bred and clean of disease. The Mexicans have a tendency to bring their fighting birds across the borer without health checks. Don't want to buy from a non NPIP flock which also has fighting birds on the premises. How about getting some top notch RIR 's and upgrading your flock? Then you could maybe show them, That would be fun.
Or get some high quality Marans. Ones from a strain which is winnig for dark eggs at the egg shows. Then show your eggs. Lots of fun . Pick 3 eggs, pack include 5.oo entry fee, and mail to the show. Eggs are judged and destroyed. Club sends you any prizes you won. This is lots of fun, esp. for the kids! You can check the egg show results online and buy from a winning breeder. When you win, brag including " these are (name the beeder) strain." That's always a nice touch. Gives your seller some nice press and a nice thank you for sharing their birds with you.
Best,
Karen
And no, I am not rac-ist about Mexican chickens. I just remember several years ago when a poultry farm employee brought his illegal fighting game cock from Mexico to a San Diego county poultry farm up near Norco. The game cock was sick, the farm got sick and 100,000 birds were destroyed. Yes, you read that right, 100,000 for one game cocks' sickness. Better safe than sorry.
Where is the best place to learn about showing eggs? I have a hen from show lines that I am hoping will lay some lovely eggs when she starts laying.

Where is the best place to learn about showing eggs? I have a hen from show lines that I am hoping will lay some lovely eggs when she starts laying.
as far as I know only the Marans have egg shows, I could be wrong. Go to the websites o either of the Marans clubs and they will be glad to help.
Marans of America Club
Marans Chicken Club USA
Best
Karen

Back
Top Bottom