What children's books freaked you out as a kid?

PuffedFinch

Hatching
Feb 26, 2017
Ontario
Kinda' weird topic for only my second thread on here, eh? Hahah, but I was on this topic tonight with my boyfriend when I was having a hard time remembering a book I had as a toddler. I still can't remember the title and searches haven't found much; there was a kid in it who caught this black blobby, shadow thing, in a jar and it had a creepy smile. As a young kid (two or three maybe) I got it confused with The Dark by Robert Munsche a lot, though I was also freaked out by that one.

Another is the Snort, the excavator from Are You My Mother? I don't know what it was, the art is pretty simple in that one, but it still managed to make me upset, lol!
gig.gif
When I was nine, my Mom got me some of RL Stine's Mostly Ghostly books since I lo-oved the Goosebumps books, but there's a pretty in-depth description of a dog turning inside-out in one of them, which freaked me out more than anything else in them.

What are some of the books that might have scared you as a kid? Be it when you were a tiny toddler, or getting into chapter books?

Another is the Snort, the excavator from Are You My Mother? I don't know what it was, the art is pretty simple in that one, but it still managed to make me upset, lol!
gig.gif

(3 guesses what the guy who put this pic on the site where I found it titled it!)

My guess is that the teeth on the bucket look like teeth . . . .

For me, it was anything by Maurice Sendak and Edward Gorey - I hated even looking at their cover designs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom