what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

I am getting worried about my girl liberty, she keeps laying down and is just not acting right, we got her 1st or 2nd week of March. Is there anyway she could be trying to lay too early?
is she laying down and doing anything specific? for instance, is she actually taking a dust bath? also, when you say laying down, is she squatting or actually laying down like on her side or something? at 16 weeks or so she is probably not trying to lay an egg but just resting. I would keep an eye on her but not worry too much. she will go through a number of changes prior to laying eggs. her comb and wattles will get larger and bright red. you may notice changes to her leg and feet color as well.

is she laying down and doing anything specific? for instance, is she actually taking a dust bath? also, when you say laying down, is she squatting or actually laying down like on her side or something? at 16 weeks or so she is probably not trying to lay an egg but just resting. I would keep an eye on her but not worry too much. she will go through a number of changes prior to laying eggs. her comb and wattles will get larger and bright red. you may notice changes to her leg and feet color as well. 
I am so worried about her. She wouldn't even free range tonight with the others. She isn't laying on her side, just laying like she would perched. No red in comb... I feel like she is dying and I'm not sure why?

Houston, we have landed an egg!! Woohoo - I know, so lame, eh? We've never raised chickens before and we only have 4, but those four are our "girls" and the buff Orpington was singing and squatting and scratching in the nest boxes yesterday and today - viola!!
Not lame at all. Lol on this forum we all get excited about everything chicken :) congrats on the egg!!!!!!! I can't wait for ours to start laying. Also can't wait for broody hens. iAds sure I got breeds that go broody. Love watching the mommas and babies

I am so worried about her. She wouldn't even free range tonight with the others. She isn't laying on her side, just laying like she would perched. No red in comb... I feel like she is dying and I'm not sure why?
Check around your area for other people that have chickens and ask for help. I have found that most times they are more than willing to assist and that they may have gone through the same thing themselves. Also, I did a quick Google for vets in your area and there are a number that say they work with birds. Don't be surprised if that means "exotic" birds and nothing as common as a chicken. But, if you persist someone will help. They finding a vet that specialized in farm animals. Thought they may only work with large animals they may know someone that can help with your chicken.

Check around your area for other people that have chickens and ask for help. I have found that most times they are more than willing to assist and that they may have gone through the same thing themselves. Also, I did a quick Google for vets in your area and there are a number that say they work with birds. Don't be surprised if that means "exotic" birds and nothing as common as a chicken. But, if you persist someone will help. They finding a vet that specialized in farm animals. Thought they may only work with large animals they may know someone that can help with your chicken.
Thanks. I brought her in yesterday for a couple hours so I could watch her. She was real weak, I gave her some electrolytes, and she seemed to feel a bit better towards the end of the day. Today she was keeping up pretty well with the flock. I'm going to keep an eye on her.

How will I know when my Golden Comets are ready to lay eggs? I got them about the middle of March.

I've been reading your post trying to learn. Never heard of a chicken squatting. Today one of my pioneers (rainbow Dixie's) who is very red in the face squared for me I think... Lol. When I petted her back she put her head down the feathers on her neck stuck out her wings went out and she squatted. Look to me as a submissive move meant for the rooster. I got her march 10th wasn't REALY expecting eggs till late July early August.

I've been reading your post trying to learn. Never heard of a chicken squatting. Today one of my pioneers (rainbow Dixie's) who is very red in the face squared for me I think... Lol. When I petted her back she put her head down the feathers on her neck stuck out her wings went out and she squatted. Look to me as a submissive move meant for the rooster. I got her march 10th wasn't REALY expecting eggs till late July early August.

Back
Top Bottom