1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what color are duck eggs??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sab, Dec 13, 2010.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    I think they are always white. Am I right?? Cause this AM there was a HUGE egg in the chicken's nest box. Brown like the others. I've never seen Duck-Duck go up the ladder into the chicken roost. Is it likely she did just to lay an egg?? So many questions - so big an egg..... but brown....
    Thanks in advance.
    Oh - and at what age should Peking ducks start laying. I know she's a girl cause she doesn't have a curl (poetic).
    Sally in WV

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It's a chicken egg. Duck eggs are usually white, greenish, black-grey depending on duck breed. Pekin eggs are always white. Ducks usually start to lay between 5-6 months. Some a little bit earlier and other may be later. In general heavy breeds need longer to start. My Saxonies took 6 to 7 month before they started to lay.

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I agree with katharinad, a chicken egg. I bet it might even be a double yoker if you crack it open.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Fawn & white runners are blue.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Mine lay blueish eggs....

I agree with the others, sounds like a double-yolk chicken egg.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have a little girl at my house at the moment laying eggs with a beautiful green tinge to them. So nice to get a little variety.

When they start to lay the eggs can be a little off colour- once they get into rhythm with laying the shell colour evens out- but I have seen some first eggs from my girls that arent pure white. But no duck I know off lays a brown egg.

She could start laying anywhere from 17 weeks or so- but it can depend on a few things like the amount of day light hours where you live. Some ducks wont lay until the spring after they hatched- being a pekin- which is more of a meat bird than an egg layer she may be a little older even up to 25 weeks or longer ( depending on when she hatched and the season )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by