What color are my bantam cochins and what color will their chicks be?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
PicsArt_12-01-12.00.03.jpg

PicsArt_12-01-11.58.55.jpg

Your hen appears to be Brown Red (Gold Birchen) and your roo looks red.
If they are the color I said you’ll get
50% Pullets, black patterned red (incomplete) quail?*Q(mealy?)
50% Cockerels, black patterned red (incomplete) columbian with less hackle markings (mealy?)
I used this sight to calculate the color crossing http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

@pipdzipdnreadytogo @MysteryChicken what color do you think they are?

Cute birds! My first thought was Brown Red for the hen, too, but I notice she's more of a brownish color overall rather than black with a red neck as a Brown Red should be. The male does look Red, but I would suspect based on the hen that he's not pure for his color, unless of course they were obtained from different places...

My turn to tag someone in 🤭 @Overo Mare Any thoughts on these two?

Your hen appears to be Brown Red (Gold Birchen) and your roo looks red.
If they are the color I said you’ll get
50% Pullets, black patterned red (incomplete) quail?*Q(mealy?)
50% Cockerels, black patterned red (incomplete) columbian with less hackle markings (mealy?)
I used this sight to calculate the color crossing http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

@pipdzipdnreadytogo @MysteryChicken what color do you think they are?
Hen looks maybe a chocolate. If not Dun(Fake Chocolate)

Rooster, looks red Columbian.

Cute birds! My first thought was Brown Red for the hen, too, but I notice she's more of a brownish color overall rather than black with a red neck as a Brown Red should be. The male does look Red, but I would suspect based on the hen that he's not pure for his color, unless of course they were obtained from different places...

My turn to tag someone in 🤭 @Overo Mare Any thoughts on these two?
Look like they came from a mixed pen to me. Sorry I can't help more!

Look like they came from a mixed pen to me. Sorry I can't help more!

This is what I'm thinking as well.

Unfortunately, that means it would be incredibly difficult to predict what their offspring will look like. They're very likely heterozygous for a lot of genes, meaning a lot of possible gene combinations when they breed.

Hen looks maybe a chocolate. If not Dun(Fake Chocolate)

I don't see Chocolate or Dun, personally.

Back
Top Bottom