What color are these toms?

Hi All,

I don't mean to butt-in to you conversation, But you are talking turkey and I had a few questions. My husband and I are thinking about getting a few turkeys, but keep reading how easily they die. Are they as easy to take care of and raise as chickens/ducks? Or do they really look for every oportunity to die?!

I apreciate your time!
smile.png

dont know who you've been reading from, but turkeys are pretty darn tough birds. I have never had any just die off. They are well yes about the same as chickens and ducks as long as you take care of them they do just fine. The only main concern is when they are poults, they do need to be kept nice and warm and dry, they get chilled very easily, but hey, all baby birds do.

I acutaully had a royal hen that was out free ranging this past spring, she turned up missing, saw white feathers everywhere...so yep a coyote or bob cat or something got her. A WEEK later she was back out in the yard when I got in from work, the skin on her breast had been torn wide open, litterally from the neck down to the lower belly. Cleaned her up a bit, dressed the wound and within a week or two she was perfectly fine, mind you she had been that way on her own for a week. Lesser birds would have died then, or got infected and died from the injury. How she got away, and how she got back home???? Who knows... but she didnt just fall over dead that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom