What color are YOUR Easter Egger's eggs?

Pics
Is it weird that her eggs changed from a blueish color to green?

The 'brown' color that makes the eggs go from the more blue towards an olive color is a secondary pigment added to the finished egg, sometimes this pigmenting system takes a while to fire up and work properly with new egg layers and in other cases this system might diminish a bit over the egg laying season until they take a break from laying to give that brown pigment system a chance to recharge... The primary egg shell color itself (blue/green) as seen undiluted from the inside of the egg should remain fairly consistent as that system doesn't diminish and need a 're-charge' like the brown outside pigment...

Last edited:
Ours lays a somewhat greenish egg. Very exciting to finally get it after all that waiting.

Blueish-green. I bought 3 "Ameraucanas" Easter eggers in March from the same feed store. 2 looked identical, and one was blonder and just looked different. Her name is Maple--even though she is not maple in color, hehe. Mapes started laying in August at about 5-6 months old, I'd get one green-blue egg every few days or every other day if I was really lucky . I thought my other two EE's were brown layers because we would catch them in the nesting boxes with brown eggs under them so we just assumed they were duds...I mean brown layers. Well, just this week (mid November--8 months old!) I began getting tiny blue-green eggs! More on the blue side. So based on the size difference with Maples eggs I have to assume these small ones are not hers, they're my other Ameraucanas/EE's. So here they all are. The 4 eggs in the front are the newer ones. The 2 in the back right are Maples eggs, they're much bigger and more green/olive but it's hard to tell in the photo. But I agree it's so fun to go out and see what were going to get. I love having a diverse color pallete.

Last edited:
I am wondering what color my EEs will be laying and I wanted to see everyones pics of their EEs eggs! Post as many pics as you want! I would like to see everyones colored eggs!!! I cant wait!
smile.png
I realize this is an old thread, but thought I'd post anyway.
I have 2 easter egger hens. One lays a light brown egg and the other lays a sage green color egg.

This is Goldies egg - the sage green egg.

This is my EE Pepper's first egg and egg she laid last week. Is it weird that her eggs changed from a blueish color to green?
Elise and Ava's eggs alternate between gray, blue, and green depending on the day.
smile.png
Kind of interesting, since I was always under the impression that once a hen lays a given color, they will continue to lay that same color all their lives with the exception of lightening hues. Lovely eggs!

-Alex

Last edited:
Elise and Ava's eggs alternate between gray, blue, and green depending on the day. :)  Kind of interesting, since I was always under the impression that once a hen lays a given color, they will continue to lay that same color all their lives with the exception of lightening hues. Lovely eggs!

-Alex

Pretty eggs. My girl "Jasmine " lays a light green egg. I was hoping for blue.

Back
Top Bottom