What color breed is she

lovechickens23

Songster
8 Years
Aug 18, 2013
hi got americana hen that's old 8 I know she a americana but what color breed she is? Is she just called black and white color? Don't be mean please her name is cupcake
20201112_042812.jpg

'Americana' Is just another word for the type of chicken called an easter egger. These are all crosses and mutts, so there are no official colors. Easter Eggers USUALLY have a pea comb, sometimes have muffs, beards, or both, and can lay blue, green, pink, or brown eggs. Ameraucanas (note the spelling) have a standard, come in recognized colors, breed true, and always lay blue eggs. They always have muffs, beards, pea combs, and slate legs. So, in short, Cupcake is an easter egger that don't come in specific colors. She's also adorable!!!

The "Americana" isn't a breed, its a cross. There aren't really breed standard colors to describe them - but if I had to convey the sense of the thing?? "Spangled" seems to fit. Perhaps "Blue Spangled"

That said, I raise Mutts. My answer is merely holding place till someone more expert can answer.
'Americana' Is just another word for the type of chicken called an easter egger. These are all crosses and mutts, so there are no official colors. Easter Eggers USUALLY have a pea comb, sometimes have muffs, beards, or both, and can lay blue, green, pink, or brown eggs. Ameraucanas (note the spelling) have a standard, come in recognized colors, breed true, and always lay blue eggs. They always have muffs, beards, pea combs, and slate legs. So, in short, Cupcake is an easter egger that don't come in specific colors. She's also adorable!!!
:goodpost:

hi got americana hen that's old 8 I know she a americana but what color breed she is? Is she just called black and white color? Don't be mean please her name is cupcake View attachment 2442440
I've seen blue, black, splash, lavender, barred, cuckoo, lacing, don't know what to call the almost polka-dot pattern on the chest. 8 yrs old! FWIW in her younger days she'd have been darker, they get lighter each molt.

A bird can derive it's look a variety of ways and generally are described as follows:

What is the genetic foundation or starting point for your bird - i.e. Birchen, Wheaten
What is the basic ground colour of your birds feathers?
Do you have any additional colours?
Are any of those colours altered in any way - enhanced or diluted?
Where abouts on your bird do the colours show? Some genes "move" the colour about.

I'm still new at all the different expressions of colour but it would be fair to say your bird is as follows:

She looks to be based on a dark ground colour - perhaps black
Her ground colour looks diluted to me - the "blue" gene reduces black to look grey
She looks to be "spangled" - This is caused by a combination of several genes that both enhance the black pigments AND move them about - to give you a black spot on the end of the feather.

Back
Top Bottom