What color chicks will I get with a black rooster over splash hens?

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
I got eggs from a friend that has a black cochin bantam rooster in with 2 splash Cochin Bantam hens. We were trying to figure out what color the chicks will be. Will they be all blue? All black? All splash? Some splash? Any Splash? I really want a splash.

Black crossed to Splash makes 100% Blues.

To get Splashes, you would need to breed Splash to Splash (resulting in all Splash offspring), Blue to Splash (resulting in 50% Blue and 50% Splash offspring), or Blue to Blue (resulting in 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash offspring).
So, breed your black with one of your splashes, then keep a blue rooster to breed back to your splash to get more splash.

Black crossed to Splash makes 100% Blues.

To get Splashes, you would need to breed Splash to Splash (resulting in all Splash offspring), Blue to Splash (resulting in 50% Blue and 50% Splash offspring), or Blue to Blue (resulting in 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash offspring).
Ok. Thank you! Looks like I have 12 eggs that will result in all blue chicks.

Hey, I’m new to breeding Silkies. I have a gorgeous silkie rooster, and I was wondering what the outcome would be if he mated with one of my white or black silkie hens.

Back
Top Bottom